Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-01 23:21:31

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
Accomplishments: 0
PM  Website

NBA

This is a thread to talk about anything NBA...Because the NBA is awesome...smile

5 Rings (S6 Franchise Underdogs, S8 Franchise Underdogs, S16 Even Money, S18 The Studmuffin Bakery, S45 Franchise Connection)
2 MVPs, 1 Finals MVP, 2 DPoY, S10 Sportsmanship

#2 2009-11-01 23:24:45

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

Re: NBA

I really like the Thunder. I love how their front office has built the team, and the patience they have had to keep their young core together and keep working with them, rather than get frustrated and break them apart and try and get someone in there that just doesn't fit. Even though they lost to Portland tonight, I really think they can come 9th in the West and develop into a really solid team in the future. They may even get 8th this season if say, Amare gets injured or something - I'd really like to see the Thunder get in the playoffs - that would be cool. But, yeah, even though they lost to Portland tonight - I think they are playing well. I mean, they had the shots, but when is there going to be another night where Durant goes 3-21 from the field and 0-5 from 3pt range. If he just made a third of his field goals (7) and one of them was a 3pt shot, the scores would be tied. When is another game where Westbrook is going to have 9 TOs. Remember that this is just his second year in the league. I can't wait till this team develops into a really solid team. They are so young, and have so much potential and are so good already.

5 Rings (S6 Franchise Underdogs, S8 Franchise Underdogs, S16 Even Money, S18 The Studmuffin Bakery, S45 Franchise Connection)

#3 2009-11-01 23:27:33

Slightly Hyphy
PM

I wish the Warriors would get rid of Maggette and Jackson. It's time for an all out youth movement. Give Randolph, Curry, Morrow, Ellis, and Biedrins all the playing time they can handle

"When I play ball I really like to bang with the big men down low. I'm pretty aggressive but sometimes bobbling balls is a challenge-you've just got to really reach in there and really get a firm hold. When it comes down to it, I really just have to pound it up in there if I want to score" -MyNetsForLife

#4 2009-11-01 23:30:51

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

I completely agree - If the Warriors had a patient front office, they would begin getting their youth core together and, sure, they would be bad for multiple seasons - but eventually they would be a very, very solid team. Curry, Ellis and Randolph are very, very solid young players - I am kind of afraid that they will rot on the Warriors - similiar to how Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin will see their talent rot on the Clippers - and how we have seen Chris Kaman's talent rot on the Clippers.

Then again, it must be tough to get rid of those hefty contracts that Maggette and Jackson bring.

#5 2009-11-01 23:34:35

Slightly Hyphy
PM

I've only seen Curry play in 2 regular season NBA games but I already know he is the real deal. And this is me being completely objective here. He IS a point guard, his court vision is fantastic, he uses his right and left hand equally well, and he passes well on the run. It just so happens he can also shoot the lights out.

"When I play ball I really like to bang with the big men down low. I'm pretty aggressive but sometimes bobbling balls is a challenge-you've just got to really reach in there and really get a firm hold. When it comes down to it, I really just have to pound it up in there if I want to score" -MyNetsForLife

#6 2009-11-01 23:44:02

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

What I really like about the Magic - this season even more so - but last season too, is that - It isn't really centred around one guy - anybody on the court can score on you. Rashard Lewis, Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, Vince Carter can always score - Mickael Pietrus, Ryan Anderson and even JJ Redick (27pts vs Raptors tonight) can score on you as well. Combine that with the fact that they have so much versatility with Lewis playing the 3 or 4 spot and Pietrus playing either wing spot. They have so many options on scoring, and can go with any lineup to match the opposition perfectly. Can go with a big lineup, a smaller lineup...anything. Plus the depth really allows them to do this without detracting from themsevles. Nelson/Williams/Johnson at PG can all play, Pietrus, Barnes, Redick, Lewis and Carter can all play at the SG/SF and Bass, Anderson, Howard and Lewis can all play very well at the 4/5.

It really is a mix for success if combined with a very smart coach - and they have that in Stan Van Gundy. Stan is so important to the Magic, because without a smart coach, well the right matchups won't be exploited and the right lineups won't be played to win. And that's how the Magic defeated Cleveland in the ECF last season - Matchups. If the Magic are to match the firepower of Boston's Big 3 or of LeBron, then matchups will be how - and they can win, and anybody could be the leading scorer and the leading figure.

#7 2009-11-01 23:44:38

gatorsfrk15
PM

The Heat are 3-0 and looking good! It seems like Wade doesn't have to do everything like last year, Jermaine O'Neal looks back to form, and Haslem is playing great off the bench. I hope they can continue this play throughout the season!

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/4672.jpg
S4 & S9 2nd team All CR; FU S10 West Champs, FU S11 East Champs, CSB S13 North Champs

GO BILLS! GO KNIGHTS! GO HEAT! GO SABRES! GO MARLINS!

#8 2009-11-01 23:49:59

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

gatorsfrk15 wrote:

The Heat are 3-0 and looking good! It seems like Wade doesn't have to do everything like last year, Jermaine O'Neal looks back to form, and Haslem is playing great off the bench. I hope they can continue this play throughout the season!

Yeah, they only lost Luther Head and Jamario Moon - who weren't really that important for them in the first place. Wade is one year better and still one of the leagues best players. O'Neal is better, Chalmers and Beasley are one year better, one year smarter and no longer rookies. Haslem gives them nice experience and a nice punch of the bench. However - after that, I can't really see them hurting the Magic, Celtics or Cavaliers assuming all teams are healthy. Those 3 teams just seem to be in a league of their own in the East. The fact that a team like the Heat, and the Hawks as well - can't be included in the elite group that could win the ECF if all teams are healthy - just reflects upon the strength of the Eastern Conference. The East has really grown from just around 2 or 3 seasons ago when the 40-42 Sixers made the playoffs and the teams were generally very weak aside from the top two or so. Now the East has 8 pretty strong teams, and 3 elite teams.

#9 2009-11-01 23:56:14

gatorsfrk15
PM

Harbour wrote:

gatorsfrk15 wrote:

Yeah, they only lost Luther Head and Jamario Moon - who weren't really that important for them in the first place. Wade is one year better and still one of the leagues best players. O'Neal is better, Chalmers and Beasley are one year better, one year smarter and no longer rookies. Haslem gives them nice experience and a nice punch of the bench. However - after that, I can't really see them hurting the Magic, Celtics or Cavaliers assuming all teams are healthy. Those 3 teams just seem to be in a league of their own in the East. The fact that a team like the Heat, and the Hawks as well - can't be included in the elite group that could win the ECF if all teams are healthy - just reflects upon the strength of the Eastern Conference. The East has really grown from just around 2 or 3 seasons ago when the 40-42 Sixers made the playoffs and the teams were generally very weak aside from the top two or so. Now the East has 8 pretty strong teams, and 3 elite teams.

I cannot agree more with what you said. I can see the Heat being anywhere from a #4 to a #6 seed.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/4672.jpg
S4 & S9 2nd team All CR; FU S10 West Champs, FU S11 East Champs, CSB S13 North Champs

GO BILLS! GO KNIGHTS! GO HEAT! GO SABRES! GO MARLINS!

#10 2009-11-02 00:09:21

Walle
PM

Slightly Hyphy wrote:

I wish the Warriors would get rid of Maggette and Jackson. It's time for an all out youth movement. Give Randolph, Curry, Morrow, Ellis, and Biedrins all the playing time they can handle

its better to get rid of maggette, jackson can still make some plays and maggetes hogs way tooo much compared to flap jack

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/8100.jpg

#11 2009-11-02 00:11:26

Crashnburn_
PM

Go Kings.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/37651.jpg

#12 2009-11-02 00:12:21

MyNetsForLife
PM

@SH: If Donnie left, I'd be much more comfortable with that team in the long term.

Pat led the passing with 7 assists, and his usual steady defensive play held the opposing first squad to no double-digit point getters. He was heard running down the court screaming "If I can't score, you won't either!"

There's a 50% chance of getting either live or die. Obviously you're more likely to die, but if there are two options there is a 50% chance of getting either. -SH

#13 2009-11-02 00:14:26

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

I'm really not convinced by Chicago as much as others. They lack depth at SG/SF, I don't think Noah is that legit - Deng, Thomas, Salmons, Pargo are just sorta there...

Rose is fantastic - and he'll carry them for sure. But, I'm just saying - I wouldn't be surprised to see them being the 8th seed, or even out of the playoffs - but due to the other teams around the playoffs (Toronto, Detroit) - They still will make it.

I think they've been slightly over-hyped or over-estimated after their 7 game series against the Celtics. That's just my opinion though.

#14 2009-11-02 00:29:33

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

I feel sorry for Coaches who take over teams with an obvious lack of talent that they just can't overcome no matter how good they are at coaching. It's a bit of an exercise in futility. Kurt Rambis with Minnesota for example - He'll probably coach this team for a couple of seasons and it'll be over. Unless Flynn and Ellington are developed very, very well. I'd like to see Minnesota do well just for this reason - they drafted well (sorta, apart from drafting Rubio, Flynn AND Lawson) and they have hired well.

On the other hand, I hate coaches who seem to stand in the way of a teams progress. Mike Dunleavy Sr. on the Los Angeles Clippers for example...A team with Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Zach Randolph, Eric Gordon and Al Thornton should do just a little better than they did last season, and now they added Blake Griffin - They should at least by 10th, 11th at worst - in the Western Conference. Mine Dunleavy Sr. just needs to realise that he isn't the man to lead this team and give it up. Apart from the money of a paid job, I can't think of any other reason why he would stick around.

#15 2009-11-02 00:31:04

clips
NSFW
PM

Harbour wrote:

I'm really not convinced by Chicago as much as others. They lack depth at SG/SF, I don't think Noah is that legit - Deng, Thomas, Salmons, Pargo are just sorta there...

Rose is fantastic - and he'll carry them for sure. But, I'm just saying - I wouldn't be surprised to see them being the 8th seed, or even out of the playoffs - but due to the other teams around the playoffs (Toronto, Detroit) - They still will make it.

I think they've been slightly over-hyped or over-estimated after their 7 game series against the Celtics. That's just my opinion though.

bulls#1

Save your court rivals money, buy some heroin instead.

#16 2009-11-02 00:31:50

Slightly Hyphy
PM

MyNetsForLife wrote:

@SH: If Donnie left, I'd be much more comfortable with that team in the long term.

Donnie can do some magical things on the offensive end of the court...but the fact that he keeps going back to maggette at power forward is so frustrating. He doesn't rebound, he doesn't play defense.

#17 2009-11-02 00:33:29

clips
NSFW
PM

Harbour wrote:

On the other hand, I hate coaches who seem to stand in the way of a teams progress. Mike Dunleavy Sr. on the Los Angeles Clippers for example...A team with Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Zach Randolph, Eric Gordon and Al Thornton should do just a little better than they did last season, and now they added Blake Griffin - They should at least by 10th, 11th at worst - in the Western Conference. Mine Dunleavy Sr. just needs to realise that he isn't the man to lead this team and give it up. Apart from the money of a paid job, I can't think of any other reason why he would stick around.

He needs to stop being GM/coach and just be a GM. so far, he has made alot of great moves for us, but he needs to get away from the side of the court. We have lost 4 games this season, but were in the running until the 4th quarter when we had brain explosions in each game. We have an easy schedule over the next few, so hopefully we can pull back some confidence go from there.

#18 2009-11-02 01:21:33

carl_johnson
PM

Hey! Dunleavy is a great coach, just give him a chance.

CHAMPS: 3 (TGP (J): S25, S42 *42-0*, TMJ (W): S44 *Captain*)
CRITs: 2 (VCH (J): S44), S48
MVPs: 1 (Archer (W): S44)
http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/8648.jpg

#19 2009-11-02 01:44:26

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

That is a very good point clips. Dunleavy has made some very good moves as GM, Drafting Griffin, Trading Peanuts away for Camby, Drafting Eric Gordon, Signing Baron Davis...Very nice - But you are very correct, if they can get a coach in to lead that team, that can be very good.

#20 2009-11-02 01:45:33

clips
NSFW
PM

carl_johnson wrote:

He's had 6 years worth of chances, but despite having a talented squad, (albeit often injured) we don't seem to get anywhere.

#21 2009-11-02 01:48:59

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

OJ Mayo is playing incredibly well. Has superstar potential. I think only LeBron could carry that franchise on it's own. They need to get some more talent in - through free agency and the draft. I like their base of Darrell Arthur, Zach Randolph, Hasheem Thabeet and Marc Gasol. One of them (Thabeet, Gasol) need to develop into a very very good player, or else the Grizz will probably need to pull off a trade or free agent move to land them a really solid big man to help out Mayo. I like Conley as well.

Hate the move of Iverson - how would that help your young team? They are building a decent young core - and just need to be patient through the draft and free agency and develop that young core. The move of signing Iverson indicates their impatience to wait for their young core to develop. That is the nature of GMs and franchises. That is also why I like the Thunder Front Office so much - They've done a fantastic job of being patient.

#22 2009-11-02 01:52:34

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

I'm wondering whether Denver can still be a top western conference team after losing Klezia and Jones - and picking up Malik Allen, Aaron Affalo and Joey Graham to replace them. I think the loss of Klezia really hurts their depth - but I can deal with Affalo replacing Jones. I think they progress to the second round again, but no further. I can't see this team beating out a healthy Lakers or Spurs in a 7 game series. Billups/Carmelo is so solid that I think they are still 3rd best through the season if healthy, even over the highly popular Portland - who I originally picked to finish 3rd in the West.

#23 2009-11-02 02:27:21

malice
In Wonderland
PM  Website

Nice thread... responding/discussing/talking:
- The Thunder are going to be a good team, but as you alluded to Harbour - it's going to take a lil' while yet.
- The Warriors are screwed.  As mentioned, a patient F.O. is necessary, and Nellie wields FAR too much power in that organisation.  Small-ball's well and good, but it should be an option - not a necessity.
- Yes, SVG's a smart coach... but I also believe that at least in part - Shaq's right.  He does panic, and at times it costs them.  One helluva roster there tho' (my favourite roster in the East at the moment).  Really like the addition of Ryan Anderson.  Someone (MNFL?) mentioned a few weeks/months back that he'd have a good impact there...
- Please... the Heat?  They've played NYK, the Pacers and Chicago in Miami.  Great, 3 wins.  But let's not go overboard.  There are a slew of teams in the East that are better than them.  They're not a 2nd tier team.  They're a drop below that.
- Dunleavy is one of the main reasons the curse of the Clippers continues.  Nate McMillan's starting to head down that path too.

clips wrote:

carl_johnson wrote:

He's had 6 years worth of chances, but despite having a talented squad, (albeit often injured) we don't seem to get anywhere.

- This.
- I think that Denver are just shy of becoming 'elite'.  They're willing to spend, just not on anything (read "like Portland").  I actually like them better than San Antonio.
- Everyone's pretty high on SA... I think that they might be right up there - if they can finish top 4 West, AND be fit and healthy.  Unfortunately (or... 'fortunately' given I'm a Lakers fan!) I think that given that roster, top 4 and fit/healthy are going to prove to be mutually exclusive.
- A mate's take on it thus far... and I agree with most of what he says.

Causticly Rude Arkham Psychos - S13 Champions
Blaze Armada - S30 Champions

#24 2009-11-02 02:50:21

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

Duncan, Parker, Mason, Ginobili, Finley, Bonner, Jefferson, McDyess...There's only 4 other rosters of that caliber in the league - and only 1 is in the West. Assuming they're healthy - They are one of the best in the league. Better than Denver.

There's no point responding to carl, he's just trying to start arguments lol. But yeah, what do you mean by the Nate McMillan comment malice?

Also, Stan likes to control the game - He is really smart, and often can overthink situations - which is what Shaq called "Panic". But, I'd rather my coach be smart and overthink than underthink.

I think you're far too harsh on the Heat. Who's better than them - I can accept you saying Atlanta - But none of Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit nor Toronto are better than them. Chicago is far too overhyped imo.

#25 2009-11-02 02:58:43

malice
In Wonderland
PM  Website

- I'll reiterate: I believe that as far as SA are concerned, top 4 and fit/healthy are going to prove to be mutually exclusive.
- Nate McMillan is CRUSHING Jerryd Bayless.  And he's made some pretty crucial errors out there at crunch time.
- Meh... I'm happy with Phil.  Phil lets the guys play through.  He does his coaching BEFORE the game.
- Really?  You're THAT high on the Heat?  They've beaten 2 teams who were amongst the worst of the worst the season before, and beat a Bulls (that you say isn't very good) team by 8 at home.  And now they're "damn good"?  Please...
The Bulls are better.  The thing about the Bulls is tho' that they're a very young team.  They'll have nights where they're very good (like the Spurs game), and they'll have games where they're pretty much awful.  That's going to happen with such a young roster.  Miami are reliant on one player.  There's no dimension there.
And hell yes: Atlanta/Toronto/and-even-Chicago are better.  I haven't really studied much beyond that as yet.  No time.
I'd place Miami somewhere in the 6-10 range of where they'll finish the season.

Last edited by malice (2009-11-02 02:59:12)

Causticly Rude Arkham Psychos - S13 Champions
Blaze Armada - S30 Champions

Board footer