Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-11-02 03:12:10

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
Accomplishments: 0
From: New Zealand
Registered: 2008-07-27
Posts: 14372
PM  Website

Re: NBA

Toronto better than Miami? Really?

Fair point on Nate...

I wouldn't say I'm THAT high on the Heat. I'm placing where they finished last season, maybe one place lower...I didn't say that they were "damn good" either - don't misquote me.

What makes the Bulls so good? Apart from Rose being a superstar - They haven't really improved on last seasons roster - That's just been overhyped for taking the Celtics 7 games last season.


5 Rings (S6 Franchise Underdogs, S8 Franchise Underdogs, S16 Even Money, S18 The Studmuffin Bakery, S45 Franchise Connection)
2 MVPs, 1 Finals MVP, 2 DPoY, S10 Sportsmanship

Offline

 

#27 2009-11-02 03:22:46

team rohan
Wants a real prize
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-07-13
Posts: 7456
PM

Re: NBA

Beyond Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Magic and Cavs everyone else is just making up numbers, so its all pretty irrelevant...

FWIW I still got Heat finishing the East 5th with a shot at knocking out the Hawks if Wade is healthy...Not so much cos they are amazing, but I am not confident enough to put any teams ahead of them. Raptors and Wiz have both improved their roster so they could overtake the Heat. Bulls and sixers also could have improved enough to overtake the Heat...

However the safe bet is that assuming Wade stays healthy the Heat will stay 5th. Everyone else has solid rosters, but noone verging on the game winning ability of Wade.


http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6784.jpg

Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... f***in'... Shaft

Offline

 

#28 2009-11-02 03:24:43

tmoney20
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-07-23
Posts: 2099
PM

Re: NBA

As far as Nate goes...  I think Bayless has a ton of talent but his skill set doesn't fit the Blazers roster well.  He is great at attacking the basket but his jumper is suspect and he gets tunnel vision.  The Blazers have a great off guard in Roy and a good one in Rudy, Bayless doesn't play well off either.  He is probably better suited as a combo guard that can score and has freedom in the offense, Portland is so deep that his development is stunted somewhat because he doesn't have a chance to hone his skills as they are competing now.

Offline

 

#29 2009-11-02 03:45:13

malice
In Wonderland
Accomplishments: 0
From: 日本 (Japan)
Registered: 2008-06-29
Posts: 21383
PM  Website

Re: NBA

tmoney - you're the first Blazers fan I've spoken to that isn't down on Nate over his treatment of Bayless. 
And on Portland competing... I'm not sure I like what they've done recently. 
I think that in the last off-season they just seemed desperate to "BUY-BUY-BUY" merely because everyone else was. 
I see them as only needing room to growth, that improvement would occur merely by being that year older.  This is a young roster.
I believe it was an error bringing in Miller, as I see Bayless as a point guard (that's what he's listed as too - in most places).  Blake was fine for what Portland were doing, and bringing in Miller, they should've cut Blake loose... and focused on developing Bayless as the next point guard.  I really, REALLY like his skill set.  I disagree with you on him being a combo guard, and not being able to play with BRoy-Wonder or Fernando.  He just hasn't been given the time to even try.
There's nothing wrong with having a point man who also has an attacking frame of mind.  Look at the best young point guards in the NBA today - they all fit that mold.  D-Will, CP3PO, Rose, Rondo...

Heat?  Thing is, a lot of those other teams have far better depth.  They won't be reliant on one player to step up constantly.  Miami do.  Sure, Wade's a better player than any of them have, but their rosters are better.  The ONLY way Miami get higher than 6th is if other guys step up.  Beasley and Supernintendo Chalmers?  I'm looking at you.
I like the big 3 (Orlando/Boston/Cavs) of course ahead of the Heat.  But I also like Atlanta, Toronto, Washington, Chicago, and even Philadelphia as well.  I put Miami on about par with Chicago and Philly.  Hell, add Charlotte to that mix too.  I think they'll surprise more than one team this season.

Last edited by malice (2009-11-02 03:49:08)


Causticly Rude Arkham Psychos - S13 Champions
Blaze Armada - S30 Champions

Offline

 

#30 2009-11-02 04:01:10

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
Accomplishments: 0
From: New Zealand
Registered: 2008-07-27
Posts: 14372
PM  Website

Re: NBA

Getting Miller was a mistake - but I like the fact that he is an impact player off the bench rather than the starting PG. That sits just fine with me.

Chicago has poor depth I would say - Their roster goes 9 deep. Difference being they have Rose and Deng to score for them. But Heat has O'Neal and Haslem and Chalmers and Beasley - That's decent with Wade there compared to Chicago.

Washington and Atlanta have nice depth.

Toronto has shoddy depth.

malice wrote:

Supernintendo Chalmers

http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/975/975962/line-o-rama-ralph-wiggum-20090423033812157-000.jpg
Love it.

Last edited by Harbour (2009-11-02 04:05:49)


5 Rings (S6 Franchise Underdogs, S8 Franchise Underdogs, S16 Even Money, S18 The Studmuffin Bakery, S45 Franchise Connection)
2 MVPs, 1 Finals MVP, 2 DPoY, S10 Sportsmanship

Offline

 

#31 2009-11-02 04:19:33

clips
NSFW
Accomplishments: 0
From: Australia
Registered: 2008-08-21
Posts: 4180
PM

Re: NBA

Harbour wrote:

OJ Mayo is playing incredibly well. Has superstar potential. I think only LeBron could carry that franchise on it's own. They need to get some more talent in - through free agency and the draft. I like their base of Darrell Arthur, Zach Randolph, Hasheem Thabeet and Marc Gasol. One of them (Thabeet, Gasol) need to develop into a very very good player, or else the Grizz will probably need to pull off a trade or free agent move to land them a really solid big man to help out Mayo. I like Conley as well.

Hate the move of Iverson - how would that help your young team? They are building a decent young core - and just need to be patient through the draft and free agency and develop that young core. The move of signing Iverson indicates their impatience to wait for their young core to develop. That is the nature of GMs and franchises. That is also why I like the Thunder Front Office so much - They've done a fantastic job of being patient.

One year of Iverson for cheap is a good way to draw some bums to seats and claim its because of the youth movement before selling the team. He has been rumored to be selling since before the Gasol trade.


Save your court rivals money, buy some heroin instead.

Offline

 

#32 2009-11-02 14:15:07

tmoney20
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-07-23
Posts: 2099
PM

Re: NBA

malice wrote:

tmoney - you're the first Blazers fan I've spoken to that isn't down on Nate over his treatment of Bayless. 
And on Portland competing... I'm not sure I like what they've done recently. 
I think that in the last off-season they just seemed desperate to "BUY-BUY-BUY" merely because everyone else was. 
I see them as only needing room to growth, that improvement would occur merely by being that year older.  This is a young roster.
I believe it was an error bringing in Miller, as I see Bayless as a point guard (that's what he's listed as too - in most places).  Blake was fine for what Portland were doing, and bringing in Miller, they should've cut Blake loose... and focused on developing Bayless as the next point guard.  I really, REALLY like his skill set.  I disagree with you on him being a combo guard, and not being able to play with BRoy-Wonder or Fernando.  He just hasn't been given the time to even try.
There's nothing wrong with having a point man who also has an attacking frame of mind.  Look at the best young point guards in the NBA today - they all fit that mold.  D-Will, CP3PO, Rose, Rondo...

I don't see how you can knock Nate for his treatment of Bayless.  I don't think he is a better option than their other pg's right now and they are not in development mode.  I do believe Bayless can be a very good NBA player, last season he couldn't beat out Sergio Rodriguez for the backup job though.  I do wonder if Nate will be the effective coaching the team down the road.  He took over a team that was the worst in the league and had no discipline and turned them around, earning the nickname Sarge.  He won't be able to take such a demanding hard line with the team as they become competitive vets as he did when they were youthful losers.  That said they have overachieved the past 2 seasons.  How Nate adapts his coaching philosophy will determine if he is the right long term coach for this team.
 
I wasn't a big fan of the Miller signing, I would have preferred to keep the cap room and wait until some team hopefully agrees to a lopsided trade for purely financial reasons that would net the Blazers an all-star for nothing, like the Lakers were gift wrapped with gasol wink

Offline

 

#33 2009-11-02 14:48:44

MyNetsForLife
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-04-16
Posts: 11926
PM

Re: NBA

Slightly Hyphy wrote:

MyNetsForLife wrote:

@SH: If Donnie left, I'd be much more comfortable with that team in the long term.

Donnie can do some magical things on the offensive end of the court...but the fact that he keeps going back to maggette at power forward is so frustrating. He doesn't rebound, he doesn't play defense.

His style is conductive to fun basketball, but not teaching. If he had a really talented, veteran squad, with an actual, vocal leader (K-Mart, KG, etc), he would be fine as a coach. As the leader of a young, inexperienced squad, he is a cancer.


Pat led the passing with 7 assists, and his usual steady defensive play held the opposing first squad to no double-digit point getters. He was heard running down the court screaming "If I can't score, you won't either!"

There's a 50% chance of getting either live or die. Obviously you're more likely to die, but if there are two options there is a 50% chance of getting either. -SH

Offline

 

#34 2009-11-02 14:52:21

MyNetsForLife
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-04-16
Posts: 11926
PM

Re: NBA

tmoney20 wrote:

malice wrote:

tmoney - you're the first Blazers fan I've spoken to that isn't down on Nate over his treatment of Bayless. 
And on Portland competing... I'm not sure I like what they've done recently. 
I think that in the last off-season they just seemed desperate to "BUY-BUY-BUY" merely because everyone else was. 
I see them as only needing room to growth, that improvement would occur merely by being that year older.  This is a young roster.
I believe it was an error bringing in Miller, as I see Bayless as a point guard (that's what he's listed as too - in most places).  Blake was fine for what Portland were doing, and bringing in Miller, they should've cut Blake loose... and focused on developing Bayless as the next point guard.  I really, REALLY like his skill set.  I disagree with you on him being a combo guard, and not being able to play with BRoy-Wonder or Fernando.  He just hasn't been given the time to even try.
There's nothing wrong with having a point man who also has an attacking frame of mind.  Look at the best young point guards in the NBA today - they all fit that mold.  D-Will, CP3PO, Rose, Rondo...

I don't see how you can knock Nate for his treatment of Bayless.  I don't think he is a better option than their other pg's right now and they are not in development mode.  I do believe Bayless can be a very good NBA player, last season he couldn't beat out Sergio Rodriguez for the backup job though.  I do wonder if Nate will be the effective coaching the team down the road.  He took over a team that was the worst in the league and had no discipline and turned them around, earning the nickname Sarge.  He won't be able to take such a demanding hard line with the team as they become competitive vets as he did when they were youthful losers.  That said they have overachieved the past 2 seasons.  How Nate adapts his coaching philosophy will determine if he is the right long term coach for this team.
 
I wasn't a big fan of the Miller signing, I would have preferred to keep the cap room and wait until some team hopefully agrees to a lopsided trade for purely financial reasons that would net the Blazers an all-star for nothing, like the Lakers were gift wrapped with gasol wink

They HAD to use the cap space this season, or it was up in smoke as they gave extensions to LMA and B-Roy by using their bird rights. 10 million is chumpchange for Paul Allen.

If everything was a year later for the Blazers, and Darius Miles hadn't been added back to the cap, imagine the havoc they would have created in free agency.


Pat led the passing with 7 assists, and his usual steady defensive play held the opposing first squad to no double-digit point getters. He was heard running down the court screaming "If I can't score, you won't either!"

There's a 50% chance of getting either live or die. Obviously you're more likely to die, but if there are two options there is a 50% chance of getting either. -SH

Offline

 

#35 2009-11-02 16:48:24

fewmit
Relax, I'm a doctor
Accomplishments: 0
From: Oregon
Registered: 2008-07-22
Posts: 2029
PM

Re: NBA

malice wrote:

tmoney - you're the first Blazers fan I've spoken to that isn't down on Nate over his treatment of Bayless. 
I believe it was an error bringing in Miller, as I see Bayless as a point guard (that's what he's listed as too - in most places).  Blake was fine for what Portland were doing, and bringing in Miller, they should've cut Blake loose... and focused on developing Bayless as the next point guard.  I really, REALLY like his skill set.  I disagree with you on him being a combo guard, and not being able to play with BRoy-Wonder or Fernando.  He just hasn't been given the time to even try.
There's nothing wrong with having a point man who also has an attacking frame of mind.  Look at the best young point guards in the NBA today - they all fit that mold.  D-Will, CP3PO, Rose, Rondo...

I'm fine with Bayless hanging back longer. We saw nothing last year that shows yet that he can distribute the ball at the NBA level. In the summer leagues when he got extended minutes at the point the only thing he did well was drive to the basket...any other skills were still a work in progress. So far I haven't seen anything that shows he will be anything other than a Flip Murray / Juan Dixon style 6'3" shooter off the bench - and that's not something this (or many other) teams need from their PG.

There's still time for improvement, but I'm on Tmoney's line of thinking that for Portland to compete now Miller was a good signing.


Season 10 and 11 Kareem champions: Just Blaze
Season 13 West champions:
C.R.A.P.

Offline

 

#36 2009-11-02 17:05:37

Hutch44
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Pittsburgh
Registered: 2008-08-02
Posts: 5697
PM

Re: NBA

Question about Denver...

Why is Afflalo starting over JR Smith? Is it a Jason Terry type situation where Smith prefers to come off the bench to provide a spark? It seems to me that he would add a lot to their starters...

Offline

 

#37 2009-11-02 17:50:47

clips
NSFW
Accomplishments: 0
From: Australia
Registered: 2008-08-21
Posts: 4180
PM

Re: NBA

Hutch44 wrote:

Question about Denver...

Why is Afflalo starting over JR Smith? Is it a Jason Terry type situation where Smith prefers to come off the bench to provide a spark? It seems to me that he would add a lot to their starters...

Is Smith still suspended?


Save your court rivals money, buy some heroin instead.

Offline

 

#38 2009-11-02 18:02:31

Hutch44
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Pittsburgh
Registered: 2008-08-02
Posts: 5697
PM

Re: NBA

clips wrote:

Hutch44 wrote:

Question about Denver...

Why is Afflalo starting over JR Smith? Is it a Jason Terry type situation where Smith prefers to come off the bench to provide a spark? It seems to me that he would add a lot to their starters...

Is Smith still suspended?

Oops, yes he is. Will he replace Afflalo when he comes back?

Offline

 

#39 2009-11-02 18:11:21

gochiefwahoo14
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Ohio
Registered: 2008-12-12
Posts: 11027
PM

Re: NBA

Hutch44 wrote:

clips wrote:

Hutch44 wrote:

Question about Denver...

Why is Afflalo starting over JR Smith? Is it a Jason Terry type situation where Smith prefers to come off the bench to provide a spark? It seems to me that he would add a lot to their starters...

Is Smith still suspended?

Oops, yes he is. Will he replace Afflalo when he comes back?

Yeah.


"They're gonna be poised, were gonna be more poised, they're gonna work hard, were gonna work harder, they gonna have fun, we gonna have more fun, they gonna try hard, were gonna win" -Eric Snow

Offline

 

#40 2009-11-02 19:07:34

kriskrosser4
Press Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Taylor Swift
Registered: 2008-08-07
Posts: 10155
PM

Re: NBA

Sixers need to trade Dalembert and Brand outta here. Young is gonna be our future, I know it.


Team Philippines Basketball 2011-2012
Taylor Swift<3

Offline

 

#41 2009-11-02 19:14:24

TruBalla3920
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: New Jersey
Registered: 2008-06-10
Posts: 5991
PM

Re: NBA

I went on this rant after the Bobcats game..

Mike D'Antoni is a MORON.

We get the ball back with 19 seconds left in the 4th, game time. Dribble it downcourt, and Duhon is expecting a timeout, except it never comes. So he's dribbling around, looking over at D'Antoni with no idea what's going on. Charlotte has a foul to give, so thankfully they use it with 7 seconds left, when Duhon wasn't even attacking. I guess D'Antoni finally realized what was going on, so he called a timeout and FINALLY puts Gallinari back into the game. I understand he had 5 fouls, but what the hell was he sitting for that long for? Saving him for the possible overtime?

But then it gets better. Gallinari misses the last shot in the 4th, and sits the ENTIRE 1st overtime. Yeah, that's right, he didn't touch the court. No wonder it took over 2 minutes to score a point. 2nd overtime starts, no Gallinari.. until there are 50 seconds left in the OT. Are you serious? He comes in and scores the next 4 points.. anyone surprised?

And of course, we lose because we don't know how to match up on defense. Anyone want to tell me why Jared Jeffries was guarding Felton, and not Nate? And then why Augustin ended up islolated 1 on 1 with Harrington at the end of the game? So freaking pathetic. This team doesn't have a clue, and neither does the coach.

It's blatantly obvious that two players put in a lot of work this summer: Gallinari and Jeffries. Everyone else? Who the hell knows. All talk. We heard about guys coming in 20 pounds lighter, best shape of their life, all of that crap.. how about your basketball skills? Anyone reason why we shot 9-36 from 3? Yeah, maybe because tons of you guys didn't do crap over the offseason until you absolutely had to. Professional basketball players? Pathetic excuses for them.

We need an identity on offense, can we get one? I thought D'Antoni was supposed to run a high scoring offense, wasn't he? If we're going to sacrifice playing defense, can we put up more than 100 in 2 overtimes? Please? If not, maybe it's time to reassess what the hell you're doing, because I don't think you have a clue.

Oh, and Darko? What the hell is he doing on the team in this 'high flying' offense? You know what he does? He slows the game down when he gets the ball. That's fantastic.

Start Nate at PG. Put Duhon on the bench, he doesn't do anything productive. Go with Nate, Chandler, Gallinari, Harrington, Lee. Put Jeffries in for Harrington if you want to, Al is useless so far.

Man, I love this team.

Go Knicks! roll


Offline

 

#42 2009-11-02 19:29:05

clips
NSFW
Accomplishments: 0
From: Australia
Registered: 2008-08-21
Posts: 4180
PM

Re: NBA

Speaking of Charlotte, they are currently playing the Nets. After 8 minutes, the score is 10 - 4.... ick.


Save your court rivals money, buy some heroin instead.

Offline

 

#43 2009-11-02 19:49:18

Hutch44
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Pittsburgh
Registered: 2008-08-02
Posts: 5697
PM

Re: NBA

kriskrosser4 wrote:

Sixers need to trade Dalembert and Brand outta here. Young is gonna be our future, I know it.

Sean Singletary is your future buddy. Is he still on the roster? Or D-League?

Offline

 

#44 2009-11-02 19:56:00

kriskrosser4
Press Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Taylor Swift
Registered: 2008-08-07
Posts: 10155
PM

Re: NBA

Hutch44 wrote:

kriskrosser4 wrote:

Sixers need to trade Dalembert and Brand outta here. Young is gonna be our future, I know it.

Sean Singletary is your future buddy. Is he still on the roster? Or D-League?

I didn't even know he was on the team. Right now its

Louis Williams, Thaddeus Young, Andre Iguodala, Elton Brand, Marreese Speights, Samuel Dalembert, Rodney Carney, Primoz Brezec, Royal Ivey, Jason Kapono, Jason Smith, Willie Green.

I say we ship atleast Brand off to somewhere else, start and try to develop Speights, later on try to get rid of Dalembert.


Team Philippines Basketball 2011-2012
Taylor Swift<3

Offline

 

#45 2009-11-02 19:56:39

Hutch44
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Pittsburgh
Registered: 2008-08-02
Posts: 5697
PM

Re: NBA

kriskrosser4 wrote:

Hutch44 wrote:

kriskrosser4 wrote:

Sixers need to trade Dalembert and Brand outta here. Young is gonna be our future, I know it.

Sean Singletary is your future buddy. Is he still on the roster? Or D-League?

I didn't even know he was on the team. Right now its

Louis Williams, Thaddeus Young, Andre Iguodala, Elton Brand, Marreese Speights, Samuel Dalembert, Rodney Carney, Primoz Brezec, Royal Ivey, Jason Kapono, Jason Smith, Willie Green.

I say we ship atleast Brand off to somewhere else, start and try to develop Speights, later on try to get rid of Dalembert.

Oh... I'm pretty sure he was on the roster to start the Summer League.

Offline

 

#46 2009-11-02 19:57:49

gochiefwahoo14
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Ohio
Registered: 2008-12-12
Posts: 11027
PM

Re: NBA

He was waived.


"They're gonna be poised, were gonna be more poised, they're gonna work hard, were gonna work harder, they gonna have fun, we gonna have more fun, they gonna try hard, were gonna win" -Eric Snow

Offline

 

#47 2009-11-02 19:59:03

kriskrosser4
Press Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Taylor Swift
Registered: 2008-08-07
Posts: 10155
PM

Re: NBA

Hutch44 wrote:

kriskrosser4 wrote:

Hutch44 wrote:


Sean Singletary is your future buddy. Is he still on the roster? Or D-League?

I didn't even know he was on the team. Right now its

Louis Williams, Thaddeus Young, Andre Iguodala, Elton Brand, Marreese Speights, Samuel Dalembert, Rodney Carney, Primoz Brezec, Royal Ivey, Jason Kapono, Jason Smith, Willie Green.

I say we ship atleast Brand off to somewhere else, start and try to develop Speights, later on try to get rid of Dalembert.

Oh... I'm pretty sure he was on the roster to start the Summer League.

Ohhh..Probs got cut. I looked it up on Google it saids he's still on the 76ers but when I go on the 76ers official site he's not on the roster.


Team Philippines Basketball 2011-2012
Taylor Swift<3

Offline

 

#48 2009-11-02 20:00:47

gochiefwahoo14
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Ohio
Registered: 2008-12-12
Posts: 11027
PM

Re: NBA

kriskrosser4 wrote:

Hutch44 wrote:

kriskrosser4 wrote:


I didn't even know he was on the team. Right now its

Louis Williams, Thaddeus Young, Andre Iguodala, Elton Brand, Marreese Speights, Samuel Dalembert, Rodney Carney, Primoz Brezec, Royal Ivey, Jason Kapono, Jason Smith, Willie Green.

I say we ship atleast Brand off to somewhere else, start and try to develop Speights, later on try to get rid of Dalembert.

Oh... I'm pretty sure he was on the roster to start the Summer League.

Ohhh..Probs got cut. I looked it up on Google it saids he's still on the 76ers but when I go on the 76ers official site he's not on the roster.

Wikipedia wrote:

He signed with the Philadelphia 76ers in September 2009,[16] but was waived in October of that year.[17]


"They're gonna be poised, were gonna be more poised, they're gonna work hard, were gonna work harder, they gonna have fun, we gonna have more fun, they gonna try hard, were gonna win" -Eric Snow

Offline

 

#49 2009-11-02 21:45:14

carl_johnson
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Los Santos
Registered: 2009-06-17
Posts: 1795
PM

Re: NBA

Is it sad that I have a Rodney Carney jersey? LOL


CHAMPS: 3 (TGP (J): S25, S42 *42-0*, TMJ (W): S44 *Captain*)
CRITs: 2 (VCH (J): S44), S48
MVPs: 1 (Archer (W): S44)
http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/8648.jpg

Offline

 

#50 2009-11-02 21:50:52

MyNetsForLife
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-04-16
Posts: 11926
PM

Re: NBA

The Nets held the opposing team to the lowest FG% in franchise history.

They lost by double figures.


Pat led the passing with 7 assists, and his usual steady defensive play held the opposing first squad to no double-digit point getters. He was heard running down the court screaming "If I can't score, you won't either!"

There's a 50% chance of getting either live or die. Obviously you're more likely to die, but if there are two options there is a 50% chance of getting either. -SH

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson