Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#12176 2012-10-10 07:35:04

SuperSlicer
Accomplishments: 0
PM  Website

Re: NBA

spursallday wrote:

Terry porter is no popovich.  Im not saying pop can do anything, but he can definantly help the team become a better defensive team.  i think kawhi will become a much better defender this year as well.  and only 2 teams have won a title with no all defensive team players? spurs could be the third.  they have the offensive power to do it, and with a better defense they'll stand a good chance

Something we can agree on - Porter is certainly no Popovich. That does not, however, make Popovich a miracle worker. The two teams that won a title without an all-d player? Miami in 2006, and Houston in 1994. I think  we can both agree that '06 Wade and '94 Olajuwon are better defenders than anybody on the Spurs roster. Oh, and both made the all-d team in '05 and '93 respectively - Timmy hasn't been all-d since '09-10, and if I'm honest I'd say that one's probably a lifetime achievement award anyway.

The point is, a title winning team plain and simple needs to have at least one ELITE defender. Get yourselves one of those, and then I'll talk to you about how Popovich can create a championship defense this season.

Season 8 - RotLW championship, WWWC runners-up
Season 10 - SHIT runners-up
Season 11 - Just Blaze championship, Always Ballin championship
Season 13 - Tanks championship

#12177 2012-10-10 07:39:29

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

cking wrote:

You should get into coaching a team SS...The suns need you  wink

You flatter me, Chuck. I'll give myself a pat on the back as an armchair coach, but there's still way too much about the game that I don't know for me to ever seriously consider coaching, at any level. And besides, it's not help on the sidelines we need... it's on the court!

#12178 2012-10-10 07:42:22

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

crothers wrote:

even without LBJ, they're decent.

I guess they'd still stand a chance at a top 4 seed. More than anything, their defense would suffer though. Sure, play Battier at the 3, but then who takes the 4/5 minutes? Joel Anthony? We all saw how well that worked in the past...

#12179 2012-10-11 23:10:32

pguard9
PM

crothers wrote:

clips wrote:

Anyone else think Boston is over rated this season?

east is going to be easy for miami this year, Boston look to be to old...

Boston isn't really too old of a team anymore. Think about Rondo, Courtney Lee, Avery Bradley...and Sully (although he's being way overhyped) is looking good so far.
Timmy Duncan might not be anchoring a championship D anymore, but KG still can and is. There's no doubt Boston has the defense to win a title.
If the Cs can just be an above average offensive team - and I know I'm biased - but I think they'll have a shot.

We have a great bunch of outside shooters.  Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors.  ~Weldon Drew

#12180 2012-10-11 23:59:51

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

pguard9 wrote:

crothers wrote:

clips wrote:

Anyone else think Boston is over rated this season?

east is going to be easy for miami this year, Boston look to be to old...

Boston isn't really too old of a team anymore. Think about Rondo, Courtney Lee, Avery Bradley...and Sully (although he's being way overhyped) is looking good so far.
Timmy Duncan might not be anchoring a championship D anymore, but KG still can and is. There's no doubt Boston has the defense to win a title.
If the Cs can just be an above average offensive team - and I know I'm biased - but I think they'll have a shot.

I think the important thing for Boston is they have an elite perimeter defender in Rondo, too. People talk about Dwight Howard taking a load off his teammates defensively by protecting the paint? Rondo does the same for KG by keeping guys out of the lane in the first place.

Having said that, you can't completely disregard age. There's a chance age does catch up with KG, or Pierce - and really, both need to be at the top of their games for Boston to really stand any chance against the best teams. If you take away Pierce or KG, you're relying on Jeff Green or Darko to do work for you? Scary proposition. I don't think the C's 'depth' is all it's cracked up to be.

#12181 2012-10-12 00:09:54

malice
In Wonderland
PM  Website

Sorry, but I expect Pierce and Garnett to further decline this season.  KG might be anchoring something, but he will have massive issues with guys who are bigger than him.  Yelling at Bynum/Hibbert simply isn't going to work (not that I think KG has the balls to yell at them - they're not PGs or European).

Causticly Rude Arkham Psychos - S13 Champions
Blaze Armada - S30 Champions

#12182 2012-10-12 00:25:50

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

malice wrote:

Sorry, but I expect Pierce and Garnett to further decline this season.  KG might be anchoring something, but he will have massive issues with guys who are bigger than him.  Yelling at Bynum/Hibbert simply isn't going to work (not that I think KG has the balls to yell at them - they're not PGs or European).

Heh.

Pierce and Garnett are still probably a better duo than most of their Eastern counterparts, though. If KG and PP don't fall off a cliff, then it becomes a question of how dominant Rondo can be - and we've all seen MVP type of games from him. Can he put that kind of season together?

#12183 2012-10-12 03:23:55

malice
In Wonderland
PM  Website

True... but I think they will struggle against teams like Indiana and Philadelphia.  I also think that Detroit will scare some teams too - Drummond/Monroe... potentially awesome frontcourt.

#12184 2012-10-12 09:12:36

clips
NSFW
PM

I see Boston and Spurs as old teams, despite young additions. It's the age of the players carrying the load that counts, and for those two teams (except Rondo) its the senior citizens.

Save your court rivals money, buy some heroin instead.

#12185 2012-10-12 20:50:20

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

malice wrote:

True... but I think they will struggle against teams like Indiana and Philadelphia.  I also think that Detroit will scare some teams too - Drummond/Monroe... potentially awesome frontcourt.

Agreed. There's a chance they could miss both of those teams entirely in the playoffs though. If Brook Lopez stays healthy, then you could add the Nets to that list. Which I'd be fine with, by the way. I'm starting to sound like I actually want Boston to do well... don't get the wrong idea haha.

#12186 2012-10-12 20:51:18

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

clips wrote:

I see Boston and Spurs as old teams, despite young additions. It's the age of the players carrying the load that counts, and for those two teams (except Rondo) its the senior citizens.

It's funny - I agree with you, but last season, I never thought of the Suns as an old team... and Grant Hill is the second oldest player in the league!

#12187 2012-10-12 21:07:31

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

Oh and Detroit, this season? Not for me. I like what I've seen of Drummond, but I don't think they're ready to make a jump. Monroe is a beast, though. It won't take long.

#12188 2012-10-13 22:25:15

tosweet68
World War I Flying Ace
PM

Hey SS. Since I haven't paid any attention yet this preseason, how are your Suns doing and specifically Scola and Dragic, since they were both Rockets last season.

West Champions Angry Robots Attack - Season 24, 26  We Hunt For Naked Girls Season 35
RGM Mavs - Playoffs Seasons 2-38 Sweet 16 - Seasons 3, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 21, 27, 31, 35, 38 Elite 8 - Seasons 8, 15, 17, 20, 24, 25, 29, 30 Final 4 - Seasons 6, 28, 32, 33, 34 Championship Runner-Up - Season 5, 36, 37

#12189 2012-10-13 22:53:22

cking
PM

well dragic looked ok 9 ast 8 pts ..beat portland 104-93...last night

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/27591.jpg

Jordan Champions S25,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,40,41,42 TGP. Classic Champions S33,S34,S36 A Piece of Art S37,S41 Public Enemies S51,S53,S54,S55,S56,S59,S60,S61 PATS S64,S65,S70,S73,74,75,76,77,80,81,82,83,85,86,87,88,89 THU, West Champions S54,S58,S59,83 CR VETS

#12190 2012-10-13 23:32:37

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

tosweet68 wrote:

Hey SS. Since I haven't paid any attention yet this preseason, how are your Suns doing and specifically Scola and Dragic, since they were both Rockets last season.

Dragic sprained his ankle in training camp, so he's been a bit rusty in pre-season - hasn't been scoring much. He's been aggressive though, and has been distributing the ball really well. His defense is still awesome too. I have 100% faith that Dragic was not a flash in the pan, even based on such a small sample as two preseason games.

Scola - he hasn't played much, about 18mpg. Probably to do with the long summer he had. Lots of fans were freaking out about paying Scola for 3 years because he's getting old, but he's got a game that lends itself well to age... as you well know wink His post moves are as slick and crafty as they've ever been, and he's running the floor really well. His shot hasn't been falling as much as he might like, but I attribute that more to it being preseason than any kind of slump or decline. He's going to be a real asset for a young team like ours, and I think he might even find himself as the second option at times - he's looked good.

Onto some other guys... Gortat is a concern for me. He lost his legs at the end of last season, and he's looked pretty lethargic so far in preseason. Hopefully he finds a rhythm, because I think he can still be a big factor, even without Nash's pick and rolls. Beasley looks really promising - he's already shown he's not just a shot jacker. He's been moving the ball and creating for others, just generally playing within the offense and not trying to do too much. Time will tell if that remains the case, but I like what I see so far. Given his willingness to move the ball so far, I'd like to see more of the offense run through him. If he's not a ball stopper, his value goes through the roof in my opinion.

Kendall Marshall... he's a guy that's going to take some time, but the potential is there for everyone to see. He's not lightning quick, but he gets to spots fast - kinda like Nash used to - and he doesn't lose much speed when he's dribbling. I think the backup PG job is his to earn, but he's definitely capable of it before the end of the season. A lot of what hasn't been going right for him so far can be attributed to chemistry and new faces. Once he learns where guys' spots are, and the preferred method of delivery, a lot more of his passes will result in assists. So far he's been let down by fumbled catches and missed shots. His passing really is elite, though. Teach him to shoot (entirely possible - his form isn't the worst I've seen) and he ends up an all star one day, I reckon. Failing that, his floor is Andre Miller. Not bad at all.

Wesley Johnson - wow. His D hasn't been outstanding, but that will come. His outside shot, and his willingness to shoot it, however... really impressed. He seems confident - something that was lacking in Minny. Jermaine O'Neal - the talk about his rejuvenation might not have been just talk after all. At worst, he's going to give us what Lopez gave us, with the occasional throwback game tossed in here and there. He's a useful voice, too. I like that our two most experienced veterans are bigs - gives Markieff Morris some excellent teachers to work with.

On Morris - still inconsistent, but he's moving his game closer to the basket, and he's being more aggressive. He should really benefit from having Scola and O'Neal around - his strength in the post lends itself well to adapting some useful aspects of Scola and O'Neal's games. Just a shame he's not a little bit more athletic, otherwise I could really see him being a middle class man's hybrid of those two.

Dudley is still Dudley. Brown will be Brown. Telfair is a question mark, but that's not as big an issue as it was last season - Goran plays more minutes (or should) than Nash did, and Marshall will benefit from minutes, so it's a win-win.

Out of the end of the roster guys... PJ Tucker is Lou Amundson, but shorter. Luke Zeller is Channing Frye, uber lite version. Dionte Garrett is a project - would be good to stash in the DL. Ike Diogu - I really like him. Who doesn't like Ike? Of all these guys, I'd like to see him win the final roster spot (Tucker is already signed).

I think that's everyone. Oh, and overall we're more athletic and we move the ball more, so I think we're capable of maintaining a similar level of offense to what we had the last couple of years with Nash (albeit different looking) with the added bonus of being able to compete a little better defensively.

For what it's worth, this is how I'd rate Suns vs Rockets:

Lin < Dragic
Martin > Dudley
Parsons < Beasley
Patterson? < Scola
Asik < Gortat

Bench > bench

It's closer than it looks though. I think we'll be pretty close to each other in the standings.

#12191 2012-10-13 23:47:38

tosweet68
World War I Flying Ace
PM

Based on things I am hearing/reading from Rockets camp, Asik has really come to work on his game this offseason and training camp. He has worked very hard with Carroll Dawson. Those that don't know who CD is.....he has worked with Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, Yao Ming among others in helping develop big men skills. Asik has really been working on his FT shooting as well. Now we just have to see if his improvements carry over into games from practice.

West Champions Angry Robots Attack - Season 24, 26  We Hunt For Naked Girls Season 35
RGM Mavs - Playoffs Seasons 2-38 Sweet 16 - Seasons 3, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 21, 27, 31, 35, 38 Elite 8 - Seasons 8, 15, 17, 20, 24, 25, 29, 30 Final 4 - Seasons 6, 28, 32, 33, 34 Championship Runner-Up - Season 5, 36, 37

#12192 2012-10-14 01:24:55

cking
PM

SuperSlicer wrote:

tosweet68 wrote:

Dragic sprained his ankle in training camp, so he's been a bit rusty in pre-season - hasn't been scoring much. He's been aggressive though, and has been distributing the ball really well. His defense is still awesome too. I have 100% faith that Dragic was not a flash in the pan, even based on such a small sample as two preseason games.

Scola - he hasn't played much, about 18mpg. Probably to do with the long summer he had. Lots of fans were freaking out about paying Scola for 3 years because he's getting old, but he's got a game that lends itself well to age... as you well know wink His post moves are as slick and crafty as they've ever been, and he's running the floor really well. His shot hasn't been falling as much as he might like, but I attribute that more to it being preseason than any kind of slump or decline. He's going to be a real asset for a young team like ours, and I think he might even find himself as the second option at times - he's looked good.

Onto some other guys... Gortat is a concern for me. He lost his legs at the end of last season, and he's looked pretty lethargic so far in preseason. Hopefully he finds a rhythm, because I think he can still be a big factor, even without Nash's pick and rolls. Beasley looks really promising - he's already shown he's not just a shot jacker. He's been moving the ball and creating for others, just generally playing within the offense and not trying to do too much. Time will tell if that remains the case, but I like what I see so far. Given his willingness to move the ball so far, I'd like to see more of the offense run through him. If he's not a ball stopper, his value goes through the roof in my opinion.

Kendall Marshall... he's a guy that's going to take some time, but the potential is there for everyone to see. He's not lightning quick, but he gets to spots fast - kinda like Nash used to - and he doesn't lose much speed when he's dribbling. I think the backup PG job is his to earn, but he's definitely capable of it before the end of the season. A lot of what hasn't been going right for him so far can be attributed to chemistry and new faces. Once he learns where guys' spots are, and the preferred method of delivery, a lot more of his passes will result in assists. So far he's been let down by fumbled catches and missed shots. His passing really is elite, though. Teach him to shoot (entirely possible - his form isn't the worst I've seen) and he ends up an all star one day, I reckon. Failing that, his floor is Andre Miller. Not bad at all.

Wesley Johnson - wow. His D hasn't been outstanding, but that will come. His outside shot, and his willingness to shoot it, however... really impressed. He seems confident - something that was lacking in Minny. Jermaine O'Neal - the talk about his rejuvenation might not have been just talk after all. At worst, he's going to give us what Lopez gave us, with the occasional throwback game tossed in here and there. He's a useful voice, too. I like that our two most experienced veterans are bigs - gives Markieff Morris some excellent teachers to work with.

On Morris - still inconsistent, but he's moving his game closer to the basket, and he's being more aggressive. He should really benefit from having Scola and O'Neal around - his strength in the post lends itself well to adapting some useful aspects of Scola and O'Neal's games. Just a shame he's not a little bit more athletic, otherwise I could really see him being a middle class man's hybrid of those two.

Dudley is still Dudley. Brown will be Brown. Telfair is a question mark, but that's not as big an issue as it was last season - Goran plays more minutes (or should) than Nash did, and Marshall will benefit from minutes, so it's a win-win.

Out of the end of the roster guys... PJ Tucker is Lou Amundson, but shorter. Luke Zeller is Channing Frye, uber lite version. Dionte Garrett is a project - would be good to stash in the DL. Ike Diogu - I really like him. Who doesn't like Ike? Of all these guys, I'd like to see him win the final roster spot (Tucker is already signed).

I think that's everyone. Oh, and overall we're more athletic and we move the ball more, so I think we're capable of maintaining a similar level of offense to what we had the last couple of years with Nash (albeit different looking) with the added bonus of being able to compete a little better defensively.

For what it's worth, this is how I'd rate Suns vs Rockets:

Lin < Dragic
Martin > Dudley
Parsons < Beasley
Patterson? < Scola
Asik < Gortat

Bench > bench

It's closer than it looks though. I think we'll be pretty close to each other in the standings.

damn I'm glad your a suns fan SS love reading your posts about our team!
also like I said before if  your ever here and we still have season tickets your getting 2 tickets to a game for sure smile

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/27591.jpg

Jordan Champions S25,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,40,41,42 TGP. Classic Champions S33,S34,S36 A Piece of Art S37,S41 Public Enemies S51,S53,S54,S55,S56,S59,S60,S61 PATS S64,S65,S70,S73,74,75,76,77,80,81,82,83,85,86,87,88,89 THU, West Champions S54,S58,S59,83 CR VETS

#12193 2012-10-14 05:59:07

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

cking wrote:

damn I'm glad your a suns fan SS love reading your posts about our team!
also like I said before if  your ever here and we still have season tickets your getting 2 tickets to a game for sure smile

Haha thanks mate, I do my best. I really need to get the blog back on track... haven't posted there since June!

And don't you worry, if I do find my way over there, I WILL take you up on that!

#12194 2012-10-14 06:44:08

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

So, I was getting my Bill Simmons on, making up fake trades... who says no to this?

NYK receives: Kevin Martin, Shaun Livingston
HOU receives: Amare Stoudemire

You can make yes and no arguments for both sides. If I had my GM hat on, it makes sense for the Rockets since Amare is a star player. At the same time, it doesn't make sense because there's no telling if he can come close to what he was doing pre-Melo (25+10). It makes sense for the Knicks because it removes the Melo-STAT overlap and frees them from the last two years of Amare's contract. But, being that they're over the cap (even after K-Mart and Livingston expire) they'd have to be creative like LA were in order to make use of that freed money. Also, Melo is a bitch and doesn't want to play PF. How good would that lineup be? Felton-Martin-Shumpert-Melo-Chandler - teams would often find themselves in serious foul trouble if K-Mart, Melo and JR Smith all got going.

For Houston, it would be something like Lin-Lamb-Parsons-Stoudemire-Asik. I'd say it would at least put them firmly in the playoff race, and then depending on Amare's form might take them as far as the second round.

I know these things are silly, but when I'm trying to avoid playing Association mode on 2K13 because I have an assignment due in 20 hours, it's hard to resist the temptation!

And yes, as soon as my assignment is submitted I will be trying this on 2K!

#12195 2012-10-15 03:36:05

clips
NSFW
PM

I don't think Amare is a Morey type player. Also, Hou has 37 forwards already.

Save your court rivals money, buy some heroin instead.

#12196 2012-10-15 04:36:37

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

clips wrote:

I don't think Amare is a Morey type player. Also, Hou has 37 forwards already.

No, you're right. Morey would be much more interested in Shumpert. And yeah, I hadn't forgotten the army of forwards in Houston. Since none of them are all star level players, I figured bringing in Amare would just push everyone back one spot on the depth chart, so that there were 34 inactive reserves instead of 33.

#12197 2012-10-15 05:36:50

malice
In Wonderland
PM  Website

Dude... if I were NYK, I wouldn't want Kevin Martin tho'. Not even for Amare.

#12198 2012-10-15 05:52:33

SuperSlicer
PM  Website

malice wrote:

Dude... if I were NYK, I wouldn't want Kevin Martin tho'. Not even for Amare.

On paper, it fills a need (somewhat) and offers flexibility. I guess it would be interesting to hear how desperate NYK are (if at all) to trade Amare. And I do like that lineup that I suggested (on paper).

I mean, if Gilbert/Lewis can get traded, so can Amare... and Amare's not even close to the reclamation project Arenas was. A bad season for Amare was 17/7!

If anybody says no, I would say it's Houston, based on the size of the investment they'd be making in Amare returning to form and staying healthy. Still, they've got to take a risk eventually, haven't they?

#12199 2012-10-15 18:34:25

malice
In Wonderland
PM  Website

Except you're discounting Houston's absolute desperation to get a "name player".  Hell, look at the money they payed Jeremy Lin.

#12200 2012-10-22 07:57:35

malice
In Wonderland
PM  Website

Roy Hibbert Flash Mobs... Gangnam Style.

Awesome work.

Board footer