Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-02-17 21:36:04

krishnasitlani
Accomplishments: 0
PM

Re: Hannibal's Weekly(ish) Top Ten

ai n 21 wrote:

Nice one! smile

Nice 2!!

HAhaha lol

#27 2010-02-17 21:37:47

ai n 21
PM

3!..tongue

how's the game..la ko prem eh..

Look at me mom.. Shining like the sun.. Bright as the day.. You’re my number one. smile

#28 2010-02-17 23:49:21

Hannibal
PM

Quite a week of basketball.  The top two teams created some distance between themselves and the peleton, but one of them had some stumbles which will leave the door open.  The rest of the top ten tightened up, and some new faces made the move to find themselves in the top ten.  Without further ado...

#1) Crunch Time (18-3) (Last Week: 1): A very strong start to the week with 4 straight wins against top ten teams.  However, Cruch Time started to show some weakness ending the week with two losses, including one outside the top ten.  CT was able to hold onto its top spot by virtue of its defeat of #2 on Friday.

#2) Champinoship Crew (16-5) (Last Week: 2): A phenomenal week for Champinoship Crew, who went 6-1 against only top 10 teams.  If they keep up this sort of performance of if they can exorcise their Crunch Time demons, this team could soon be #1 and seen as the team to beat.

#3) Basketball Beyond Diplomacy (14-7) (Last Week: 4): Basketball Beyond Diplomacy was finally able to break out of its funk on Sunday with a quality non-top 10 win against FE.  Building off of that win, BBD went on to win 4 straight and two top ten teams to wrap up the week.  Only 2-2 against top ten this week, but seems to be finding a stride.

#4) The Day Dreamers (14-7) (Last Week: 11/NR): The Day Dreams made quite a move going from first out to #4.  But, that will happen when you go 6-1 (3-1 against the top ten).  If TDD keeps up this sort of pace, they could easily make a charge for a 1-seed.

#5) Ballin' For Dummies (10-11) (Last Week: 6): B4D probably had the toughest schedule this week.  Not only was it one of two teams that played only top 10 teams, 6 of their 7 games were against top 6 teams!  With a 3-4 record against the top 10, B4D continues to get serious consideration from this analyst at least.

#6) Eggsistential Crisis (11-10) (Last Week: 7): Okay, I'm ready for some crying foul for preferrential consideration of one of my teams, but listen to my case first (and then accuse me of favoritism anyway).  Eggsistential Crisis played 6 games against the top ten, and went a respectable 3-3 in those matches.  Our only game outside the top ten was against my first out NDSU Bison (and unfortunately was also our worst loss of the week).

#7) Diliman United (14-7) (Last Week: 3): Ostensibly, a solid week for Diliman United by going 3-4 with 5 games against the top 10.  However, only one of those wins were against the top ten.  Don't sleep on this team, because I can see them climbing back into the top 4 very very soon.

#8) The DHarans (13-8) (Last Week: 5): There were some grumblings about the DHarans being seeded outside the top 4.  However, this team did nothing to command the respect that they requested.  A shockingly lackluster week going 2-5, and without a win against the top ten (0-4).  With several teams moving up from Pro B into Pro A, we'll see how the DHarans perform with several contenders hot on their tails.

#9) RK Croquest Hoes (14-7) (Last Week: NR): From zeroes to heroes.  I had a tough time deciding where to put this up-and-coming team between #7 and #10.  RKCH is a saavy veteran leadership and I believe that they can hang with anybody.  The problem is, they've yet to really prove that statement.  They played only one top ten this week, BUT that was a win over #1 Crunch Time.  Was this a matter of "third time's the charm"?  Or, is this the first statement win for a real contender?...Future weeks will tell.

#10) Disgruntled Postmen (11-10) (Last Week: 8): DP seems to be stuck in that ugly Pro A/Pro B 'tweener position--they are able to beat most weaker teams, but can't seem to find the win column against Pro A teams.  An uninspiring 3-4 week with three losses against the top 10 is causing some bad deja vu.  DP seems horribly reminiscient of Chicken Mafia last season who bounced back and forth from Pro A to Pro B, never finding a rhythm, missing out on a 3-seed by 1 point, and then getting ushered out before the sweet sixteen by a surging 5-seed who finally got its stuff together in the last third of the season.  Wait...that seems to be the story for CM this season too...Well, hopefully you guys have better luck holding on to your teetering top ten spot then we did.

The Last Out/Best of the Rest--NDSU Bison and RK Beer Barons: NDSU seems to be a strong team that just hasn't played many games of consequence.  Two wins against top ten teams, including a convincing win this week against #6 Eggsistential Crisis hints at what may be if they would only stop accepting challenges from the "all sizzle, no steak" Pinoy Superheroes....RKBB on the other hand has actually been cutting its teeth on real competition, but just wasn't able to put the one win on the board this week to knock out DP.  Strong wins against TDD and CC in previous weeks show that this is a team to expect to see ranked shortly.

Special Note to Kaz/the Admin: Full Eclipse deserves better.  I know that we are dealing with an imperfect formula, but somewhere along the way, there must be a better way to ensure that contending teams (read Pro teams) don't get stuck with a game below College A/B.  Not only is it a small hit in the team ratings, but it also affects the individual players' resume in regards to an individual award.

Keep your eyes here next week to see how this all shakes out as we begin the second half of the season.

Last edited by Hannibal (2010-02-17 23:51:56)

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/25006.jpg
Classic: Almost Famous (Captain), Chicken Mafia (Captain)
Eggsistential Crisis (now Almost Famous)--Season 24 Classic Champs

#29 2010-02-17 23:51:24

Hubbalicious
PM

Who did Crunch time lose to?   hmm

Last edited by Hubbalicious (2010-02-17 23:51:38)

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/18443.jpg
Pass A Fist Comeback - SF Team Leader - PG Courtrivals Best  (jordan)         
Mr. Hyde Dr. Jekyll - G The Beast Inside  (west)
Championship: Guardians (12) The Joke is on You (25)

#30 2010-02-17 23:53:59

Hannibal
PM

Hubbalicious wrote:

Who did Crunch time lose to?   hmm

Two allusions to a team not in the top 15 yet is quite enough for this thread big_smile

You guys have your fresh thread in which to toot your own horn.  (But, Congrats!)

Last edited by Hannibal (2010-02-18 09:47:12)

#31 2010-02-18 02:13:43

Harbour
Captain Kiwi
PM  Website

Cheers Hannibal. Good work. Anti-spell check team ftw.

5 Rings (S6 Franchise Underdogs, S8 Franchise Underdogs, S16 Even Money, S18 The Studmuffin Bakery, S45 Franchise Connection)
2 MVPs, 1 Finals MVP, 2 DPoY, S10 Sportsmanship

#32 2010-02-18 05:29:04

CHICKEN
PM

Surprised to see "Disgruntled Postmen" in the TOP 10 .... recent form would suggest otherwise, ... but hey, ... Thanks for the LOVE  big_smile

btw, ... surprised not to see "TITANS Forever" somewhere in the mix (maybe in our spot., ... @ "No. 10"   hehehe smile )

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/63832.jpg
The Whole FARKEN Family - Season 30 Champions (Capt.)
Return of TL - Season 42 Champions (Capt.)
HOODOO GURUS - Season 68 & 69 Champions (Capt.)

#33 2010-02-18 05:51:46

ToFuSmurF
Papa Smurf
PM

Great stuff Hannibal!

I really appreciate the kind words, our schedule has been brutal, and I think my ass hurts now cause of it sad

Season 10 & 11 Kareem Champions: Just Blaze Season 14 & 15 Champions: Boom Goes The Odenite
Season 12 Bird Champions: Full Eclipse Season 15 Champions: RK Beer Barons
Season 16 West Champions: Even Money
Ballin 4 Dummies (Season 12): 41-1 Regular Season Record

#34 2010-02-18 08:55:11

SwaggerJ
PM

Hannibal wrote:

Special Note to Kaz/the Admin: Full Eclipse deserves better.  I know that we are dealing with an imperfect formula, but somewhere along the way, there must be a better way to ensure that contending teams (read Pro teams) don't get stuck with a game below College A/B.  Not only is it a small hit in the team ratings, but it also affects the individual players' resume in regards to an individual award.

Thanks Hannibal. This seems to happen to one of the top teams a few times every season and it looks like it was our turn this time hmm

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/2007.jpg

8 Rings: CTTF(J) (8, 9, 10, 14, 16) - FE(B) (12) - CRAP(W) (13) - RKBB(B) (15)

#35 2010-02-18 08:59:44

Lord Rott
HATERAID - Release the Hater in you.
PM

SwaggerJ wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

Thanks Hannibal. This seems to happen to one of the top teams a few times every season and it looks like it was our turn this time hmm

This has happened to Full Eclipse as Pro B and ROTLW as Pro A. Both teams have played a Playground D team. It's not even fun to see your stats from those games, cuz they mean nothing.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6941.jpg
3 Championships - ROTLW, Full Eclipse & RK Beer Barons -- 1 DPOY-Anne Bonney
5 2nd Team- Mason Charles, Vittorio Bene-2,  Black Taco-2, Roy G. Biv 4 1st Team - Vittorio Bene, Walrus Jones, Count Walrus, Mason Charles
9 All-D Awards-Mason Charles-5, Walrus Jones-2, Hikreem Allonyamom-2

#36 2010-02-18 09:49:48

Blowcaine
PM

good work hannibal

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/4535.jpg         

Rutgers Scarlet Knights(C)   ||   Ballin For Dummies
Candy Trafficking Task Force

#37 2010-02-18 10:05:20

ryan510
PM

Hannibal wrote:

The Last Out/Best of the Rest--NDSU Bison and RK Beer Barons: NDSU seems to be a strong team that just hasn't played many games of consequence.  Two wins against top ten teams, including a convincing win this week against #6 Eggsistential Crisis hints at what may be if they would only stop accepting challenges from the "all sizzle, no steak" Pinoy Superheroes

We were unhappy with this as well.  I know we accepted a challenge from the Pinoy Superheroes, but that was because we actually wanted to play a Pro A team instead of them giving us the shaft playing a Pro D team the night before.  We got off to a slow start towards the bottom of Pro B and climbed our way up to Pro A only to find us playing a Pro D team.  Since we challenged Pinoy...now the auto schedule maker placed us to play Pinoy again tonight.  Oh well...looking to impress before the next rankings with hopefully some better competition this week.

Nice work on the rankings though!

#38 2010-02-18 11:47:04

Hannibal
PM

CHICKEN wrote:

Surprised to see "Disgruntled Postmen" in the TOP 10 .... recent form would suggest otherwise, ... but hey, ... Thanks for the LOVE  big_smile

btw, ... surprised not to see "TITANS Forever" somewhere in the mix (maybe in our spot., ... @ "No. 10"   hehehe smile )

You may be right Chicken.  I may have unduly penalized Titans Forever for falling out of Pro A earlier in the week.  I had them at 13 and didn't really consider moving them.  However, it may be that DP and TF should have been swapped.

Well, next week's rankings give them a chance at redemption.

#39 2010-02-18 17:45:00

krishnasitlani
PM

Ill love the come up remarks on my team! Thanks hannibal!

#40 2010-02-19 02:47:54

Perimeter2009
PM

ryan510 wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

The Last Out/Best of the Rest--NDSU Bison and RK Beer Barons: NDSU seems to be a strong team that just hasn't played many games of consequence.  Two wins against top ten teams, including a convincing win this week against #6 Eggsistential Crisis hints at what may be if they would only stop accepting challenges from the "all sizzle, no steak" Pinoy Superheroes

We were unhappy with this as well.  I know we accepted a challenge from the Pinoy Superheroes, but that was because we actually wanted to play a Pro A team instead of them giving us the shaft playing a Pro D team the night before.  We got off to a slow start towards the bottom of Pro B and climbed our way up to Pro A only to find us playing a Pro D team.  Since we challenged Pinoy...now the auto schedule maker placed us to play Pinoy again tonight.  Oh well...looking to impress before the next rankings with hopefully some better competition this week.

...and our next game is against a COLLEGE DIVISION A team.  WTF???

can some Pro A and B teams challenge us please?

#41 2010-02-19 04:42:02

ToFuSmurF
Papa Smurf
PM

Perimeter2009 wrote:

ryan510 wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

...and our next game is against a COLLEGE DIVISION A team.  WTF???

can some Pro A and B teams challenge us please?

You know what I find works?  I tend to ignore that red check mark for challenges by my mail, but if you REALLY want a challenge to go through, not only challenge someone from your division (highest chance of getting accepted when seen), but also send a PM WITH that challenge (people are more inclined to read PMs when they see they have one).

Another thing about challenges is that in most cases, the captain you PM is still only 1 vote out of 3.  Other users on that team have to vote rather than wait for another teammate to do it.

Season 10 & 11 Kareem Champions: Just Blaze Season 14 & 15 Champions: Boom Goes The Odenite

#42 2010-02-25 13:13:49

Hannibal
PM

The scramble for top seeds continued to cause a lot of churning throughout the top ten, but a lot of familiar faces (including a legendary team reclaiming its spot on this list) grace this week’s rankings.

#1) Crunch Time (24-4) (Last Week: 1): Just when it looked like Crunch Time might be folding under the pressure, it rattled off a monster week.  After Thursday’s nights games last week, I really thought that CT would drop from number one.  However, they finished the week 6-1 against all top ten teams and quashed any questions about their superiority.

#2) Champinoship Crew (20-8) (Last Week: 2): Despite losing some of their mojo against top ten teams (1-3 this week and a win against this list’s best of the rest), Champinoship Crew maintained their two seed.  But, with more weeks like this one, that may not be true in the future.

#3) Disgruntled Postmen (17-11) (Last Week: 10): The humility of the Disgruntled Postmen seems to have just been a guise.  DP put up the second best week in the league by going 4-1 against the top ten and adding wins against the first out and the best of the rest.  With two wins against #2 Champinoship Crew, DP has put them on notice that they are gunning for that rank next week.

#4) The Day Dreamers (18-10) (Last Week: 4): The Day Dreamers put up a really solid week against top competition by going 2-3 against top 10 teams and notching a win against the best of the rest team.  The two losses to finish the week were the only things holding back TDD from having their top ten rank match their ratings rank (3rd overall).

#5) Basketball Beyond Diplomacy (17-11) (Last Week: 3): BBD had a relatively rough week (at least given their previous form) by going 3-4 including 1-3 against the top 10.  Although, it should be noted that each of those top ten games were against top 4 competition, and that BBD went 1-1 against the first out team.  Thus, BBD holds on to a top 5 spot despite a weaker performance this week than others.

#6) Eggsistential Crisis (16-12) (Last Week: 6): Another solid week for this team as we went 3-2 against the top 10 and beat the teams that we “should”.  It’s moving day though for us, and time to determine whether we can challenge for a top seed.

#7) Ballin’ For Dummies. (16-12) (Last Week: 5): B4D had their strongest week in terms of record, but unfortunately it was against generally weaker competition.  However, going 2-1 against the top 10 does mean that they hold on to a top ten spot.

#8) Diliman United (18-10) (Last Week: 7): Diliman stayed on the bottom half of the table with a weaker showing against the top ten than in previous weeks (1-3).  However, this is a strong team who should solidfy its two seeding in future weeks and push for a one-seed.

#9) Titans Forever (16-12) (Last Week: NR): Titans Forever, like the team who were in this spot last week (RK Croquet Hoes) started the week in a big way, with a win over #1 Crunch Time.  However, TF languished through the rest of the week, including 4 loses against top ten teams.  Despite these losses, Titans worked their way into the top ten with a better performance than those below and due to previous successes.

#10) Full Eclipse (18-10) (Last Week: NR): Full Eclipse finally worked their way back into the discussion.  This team overcame a head-scratching Playground D match-up last week, to put together a strong week (5-2, 1-1 against top ten).  If FE can keep on form, expect them to be a dark-horse to make a championship run.

The Last Out/Best of the Rest—The DHarans and RK Croquet Hoes: I had a tough time deciding whether or not to include the DHarans in the top 10.  On one hand, I want to applaud them for embracing a tough schedule, but you need to pull better than 1-4 in those games to continue to earn a spot.  Having been relegated to Pro B, I have a feeling that this team will get a chance to get back to its winning ways, work out a few kinks and maybe revisit the top 10…RKCH stepped up the difficulty, but did not seem to be up to the challenge.  They went a dismal 0-4 against top ten teams.  One of those loses was a tight one against #2 Champinoship Crew, and RKCH can reassert themselves in the top 10 discussion with a win tonight.

The Fallen: In future weeks, if a team not only falls from the top ten, but also off of the The Last Out/Best of the Rest discussion, I will give a little mention about their fall from grace.  With no qualifying teams this week, I guess this note will have to suffice.

Only two more top ten lists before the playoffs start, so keep your eyes peeled to see how your favorite Bird teams are shaping up.

Last edited by Hannibal (2010-02-25 13:15:16)

#43 2010-02-25 13:34:43

ToFuSmurF
Papa Smurf
PM

Thanks again for doing this Hannibal.

#44 2010-02-25 13:40:07

Crashnburn_
PM

ToFuSmurF wrote:

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/37651.jpg

#45 2010-02-25 13:47:41

SwaggerJ
PM

Crashnburn_ wrote:

ToFuSmurF wrote:

What they said smile I know how time consuming things like this can be, so it's awesome that you're doing this consistently!

I don't know that I would include FE on this list quite yet, we've done well in climbing back from that PG D game, but we still have to prove ourselves against the Pro A teams. Look for a few potential matchups this week wink Thanks for the mention!

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/2007.jpg

8 Rings: CTTF(J) (8, 9, 10, 14, 16) - FE(B) (12) - CRAP(W) (13) - RKBB(B) (15)

#46 2010-02-25 15:53:37

krishnasitlani
PM

Thanks Hannibal!

#47 2010-02-25 16:16:06

Lord Rott
HATERAID - Release the Hater in you.
PM

Another nice write up.
Where's ROTLW?
Are you a walrus-hater?

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6941.jpg
3 Championships - ROTLW, Full Eclipse & RK Beer Barons -- 1 DPOY-Anne Bonney
5 2nd Team- Mason Charles, Vittorio Bene-2,  Black Taco-2, Roy G. Biv 4 1st Team - Vittorio Bene, Walrus Jones, Count Walrus, Mason Charles
9 All-D Awards-Mason Charles-5, Walrus Jones-2, Hikreem Allonyamom-2

#48 2010-02-25 16:28:39

chetter
PM

No love for SBD but you have The DHaran's on the bubble at 14-14 and pro b. SBD has a legit reason to be atleast on the bubble.

#49 2010-02-25 16:32:48

Serg2108
PM

seriously quit staring....
nice work mate smile

A trick is something a whore does for money....or candy

#50 2010-02-25 17:18:27

Hannibal
PM

chetter wrote:

No love for SBD but you have The DHaran's on the bubble at 14-14 and pro b. SBD has a legit reason to be atleast on the bubble.

Clearly, you guys haven't read these reviews.  I put an emphasis on success against the strongest teams.  The DHarans have played almost exclusively Pro A teams (at the time at least), and have recorded a number of good wins along the way.  If SBD puts together some Pro A or Top 10 wins to match your upset of Crunch Time, you'll find yourself written up in the review.

Lord Rott wrote:

Another nice write up.
Where's ROTLW?
Are you a walrus-hater?

Unofficial Rankings: #13) NDSU Bison, #14) RK Beer Barons, #15) Raiders of the Lost Walrus, #16) Stout Blue Devils, #17) Strong Cundiff, #18) Chicken Mafia, #19) Golden State Warriors 09-10, #20) Kirlington Hedgehogs

For obvious reasons, I need to cut off the write-up somewhere because I have other things to attend to in life wink

Board footer