Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » The Future of Court Rivals: Trading, free agency, and the draft

#1 2010-05-16 11:42:46

BleedBlue
Accomplishments: 0
PM

The Future of Court Rivals: Trading, free agency, and the draft

Maybe it's just me, but i think that in real life NBA Basketball, trading, free agency, and the NBA Draft makes the game.
It heightens the excitement of the game just for the mere fact that you don't have a clue what to expect.

For instance, look at this upcoming summers possible (I'm saying possible because they could stay with their teams) free agents:
Lebron james
Dwayne Wade
Chris Bosh
Amare Stoudemire 
Dirk Nowitzki
Joe Johnson
Carlos Boozer
Yao Ming
Paul Pierce
Rudy Gay... and etc, etc.

Now, a true NBA Fan gets a sense of excitement by looking at the above list, thinking "Whats going to happen?"
If any ONE of those players leaves their teams, the whole look of the team they just look changes.
Everyone of them players are game changers who put the team on their shoulders night in, and night out.

What if, just what IF, our beloved game Court Rivals had this same type of feel?
What if the best player in the Jordan league, Bird league, Kareem League gets traded to a losing team and re-energizes that team, leading them to championships and playoff runs, or even better, gets traded to another LEAGUE?
What if the players had contracts, which they could opt in or out of and have the excitement of who is going to offer them a spot?

WHAT IF this happened to court rivals?

Court rivals is easily compared to the NBA and i think trading and free agency would be the ultimate plus. Im just throwing the idea out there and seeing if it catches on.
I would be more than willing to help set this up, or try it out via a forum, or anything. I just want to see if it would work, which i think it would. (kaz, im talking to you (: )

If anyone wants to pursue this with me, please PM me. we can talk about it smile

Last edited by BleedBlue (2010-05-17 16:09:57)

"We don't have to be better than them the first 364 days, we don't even have to be better than them for the next 23 hours. We just have to be better than them for 40 minutes."
- Brad Stevens, Butler Bulldogs head coach

#2 2010-05-16 11:56:56

jbob2011
PM

Re: The Future of Court Rivals: Trading, free agency, and the draft

I could see making  a separate league for it, but not all leagues. Because I think some people like being on the team they are on, and wouldn't like the idea of having to get traded to some piss poor team. and this isn't like real life where one player changes the whole team

Retired
Playoffs Appearances
Final 4: Super Heroes in Training (S11) | Utopia Utes (S12) | Raiders of the Lost Panties (S14)
Championships: FULL ECLIPSE: S12 BIRD RAIDERS OF THE LOST PANTIES: S15 JORDAN

#3 2010-05-16 12:17:45

mutigers28
PM

I think a league that had these rules would be cool, but not every league

2 Championships: Question Mark S14, Candy Trafficking Task Force S14

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/1348.jpg

#4 2010-05-16 12:31:03

Deathstar 80
PM

BleedBlue wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but i think that in real life NBA Basketball, trading, free agency, and the NBA Draft makes the game.
It heightens the excitement of the game just for the mere fact that you don't have a clue what to expect.

For instance, look at this upcoming summers possible (I'm saying possible because they could stay with their teams) free agents:
Lebron james
Dwayne Wade
Chris Bosh
Amare Stoudemire 
Dirk Nowitzki
Joe Johnson
Carlos Boozer
Yao Ming
Paul Pierce

Now, a true NBA Fan gets a sense of excitement by looking at the above list, thinking "Whats going to happen?"
If any ONE of those players leaves their teams, the whole look of the team they just look changes.
Everyone of them players are game changers who put the team on their shoulders night in, and night out.

What if, just what IF, our beloved game Court Rivals had this same type of feel?
What if the best player in the Jordan league, Bird league, Kareem League gets traded to a losing team and re-energizes that team, leading them to championships and playoff runs, or even better, gets traded to another LEAGUE?
What if the players had contracts, which they could opt in or out of and have the excitement of who is going to offer them a spot?

Great post and great idea! big_smile I do agree with others, though, that if this idea is to work out and - first of all - is even able to work out, it should probably be be used in certain leagues or even just one league. I personally like being on a team with others I know, and I don't plan on finding another team anytime soon.

Saying this, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to run a league with this idea. I personally would think it could maybe bring constant moderation of trades (Similar to what they do on fantasy football. If there are two teams owned by two friends, one of those friends whose team isn't doing too good might trade their best players so their friend can possibly win a championship.). Just a possibility, though.

Last edited by Deathstar 80 (2010-05-16 12:40:46)

John 14:5-6

Are you a rookie here on Court Rivals? Read the following link to learn more about Court Rivals: Court Rivals Wikipedia

#5 2010-05-16 12:35:25

bbkaos
PM

Lebron James is actually good though.  Players in CR are just functions of good teammates and proper planning.  I mean you put Lebron on the worst NBA team and they become much better.  You put a CR MVP on a pro C team and....nothing will change.  The idea is fine, but it just doesn't fit with how the game works.

9 Championships (5 Jordan, 3 West, 1 Kareem)

#6 2010-05-16 12:43:56

Deathstar 80
PM

bbkaos wrote:

Lebron James is actually good though.  Players in CR are just functions of good teammates and proper planning.  I mean you put Lebron on the worst NBA team and they become much better.  You put a CR MVP on a pro C team and....nothing will change.  The idea is fine, but it just doesn't fit with how the game works.

I'm not sure how courtrivals.com works, but if what you say is true, you have a really good point. sad

Are you a rookie here on Court Rivals? Read the following link to learn more about Court Rivals: Court Rivals Wikipedia

#7 2010-05-16 12:44:39

mikasa032
PM

bbkaos wrote:

The idea is fine, but it just doesn't fit with how the game works.

Captain of Skyflakes - Jordan S15, S16 and S20 Final Four and S18 Finals Appearance
Co-Captain of Danau Lake - West S18 Champions, S20 Finals Appearance and S19 Final Four
SWAT SWAT - Jordan S83 and S84 Defensive Player of the Year

#8 2010-05-16 12:55:28

mikasa032
PM

Deathstar 80 wrote:

bbkaos wrote:

I'm not sure how courtrivals.com works, but if what you say is true, you have a really good point. sad

you could ask this person how courtrivals actually works lol

http://www.courtrivals.com/mail.php?a=w … ;uid=25511

Captain of Skyflakes - Jordan S15, S16 and S20 Final Four and S18 Finals Appearance
Co-Captain of Danau Lake - West S18 Champions, S20 Finals Appearance and S19 Final Four

#9 2010-05-16 12:59:58

bbkaos
PM

Well its like....you just can't become a Lebron or Kobe in basketball in real life.  In CR, any player can be trained and put in a lineup in such a way that they can win MVP.  The players aren't important, the users/captain is everything.  People naturally focus on the players here, because that is what they do in real life.  That is fine, but it misses the point.

#10 2010-05-16 13:00:51

Deathstar 80
PM

mikasa032 wrote:

Deathstar 80 wrote:

bbkaos wrote:

Lol, I shouldn't. I'll be e-mailing him too much! :p

#11 2010-05-16 13:01:56

bbkaos
PM

I'll be sitting here watching baseball for a few hours, so ask anything you like.

#12 2010-05-16 13:04:55

mattya802
PM

bbkaos wrote:

I'll be sitting here watching baseball for a few hours, so ask anything you like.

What's your favorite color?

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/25106.jpg
Bird - Season 11 Champs!    Obvious troll is obvious, and therefore easy to ignore - <3 MenZ
Classic - Franchise Connection
West - BM (captain), CR Veterans     Total: 5 championships

#13 2010-05-16 13:05:18

mikasa032
PM

Deathstar 80 wrote:

mikasa032 wrote:

Deathstar 80 wrote:

Lol, I shouldn't. I'll be e-mailing him too much! :p

I learned lots from him. tongue

#14 2010-05-16 13:06:04

essel
PM

Nice suggestion, but it wouldn't fit at this game at all because team commitment is not a feature in CR. You could join and leave a team anytime you want. Having said this, I've got a little suggestion on my own:
once a player joins a team, he should be locked to that team for the rest of the season (the only way he can leave is if he is kicked by the captain).. Don't know if that's a good idea but it would surely reduce the number of team-hoppers.

Last edited by essel (2010-05-16 13:08:43)

#15 2010-05-16 13:09:28

bbkaos
PM

mattya802 wrote:

bbkaos wrote:

blue

#16 2010-05-16 13:52:14

dss02
PM

bbkaos wrote:

mattya802 wrote:

bbkaos wrote:

blue

can you screw over Lil Hulk so as to improve Bruce Campbell chances for an MVP?

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/25299.jpg
Thank you Even Money Team Mates, We WON
And [Expletive Deleted] you D HOWARD, you sorry Ebaying [Expletive Deleted]

#17 2010-05-16 14:01:31

bbkaos
PM

I thought I already was tongue

#18 2010-05-16 14:07:24

BleedBlue
PM

Maybe this could be a test idea for the west league then?

"We don't have to be better than them the first 364 days, we don't even have to be better than them for the next 23 hours. We just have to be better than them for 40 minutes."

#19 2010-05-16 14:15:01

bbkaos
PM

This already does happen unofficially.  Demandred and Little Hulk were recruited to RotLP.  Super Heroes in Jordan have had tons of different players throughout the seasons but remain a top team.  Players change teams when it makes sense for both their owners and the captains involved. 

If you want to relate CR to the NBA...imagine if Lebron had most attributes over 300 each season, and most regular NBA players were capped at around 150.  See what I mean?

#20 2010-05-16 21:55:44

team rohan
Wants a real prize
PM

Besides, with the way it is set out there are just way too many teams to have any sort of draft working. There is already free agency but right now it works in the way of soccer with the best players generally going to the best teams. Although it depends on what someone wants to get out of the game. You may join a not so well reputed team if you can get on a squad that really accuentates your players strengths and gives you good stats. Or you may join a lower team cos you want the challenge of helping raising them to become an elite team.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6784.jpg

Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... f***in'... Shaft

#21 2010-05-17 00:04:00

Team Nucleus
Press Member
PM  Website

BleedBlue wrote:

Lebron james
Dwayne Wade
Chris Bosh
Amare Stoudemire 
Dirk Nowitzki
Joe Johnson
Carlos Boozer
Yao Ming
Paul Pierce

Awesome Post smile

#22 2010-05-17 03:05:41

DemonDeacs
PM  Website

A draft would be cool, especially if it were something like, if you are a new player, you get your name put into a draft and get picked by a team.

It will never happen for three reasons, the way I see it.
1.  You have no guarantees of consistency with new users, whereas if you can pile together a team of people you know won't get bored with the game after 3 days or just leave, you can be successful.
2. There aren't enough active teams out there who actively need to replace players, with NEW players.  They look for players to fill the role that the leaving players filled.  Unfortunately, this is a game of numbers, so if a 900 leaves, you need someone around a 900 to replace him, whereas in the NBA, you can go, PEACE DEVIN HARRIS, I'll one up you with John Wall! and perhaps be even better.
3. Say a draft was in place for new users, and I signed up today.  If I wanted to get drafted onto a team, I would have to wait a month from the day I signed up just to start playing?

Sorry, it really just isn't possible with the current set up.  And I really think trades with just cause discomfort among different players/teams and contracts would just get annoying.  I think what is good about CR right now (though improvements could be made) is that it is simplistic for the casual user to just pop on, train, set skills, and enjoy (or get mad at heh) the results or it can be quite complex for someone interested into looking into player matchups, point totals, and really doing some math to put it all together.  It really is what makes this game work.

#23 2010-05-17 08:49:33

Lord Rott
HATERAID - Release the Hater in you.
PM

Free Agency does happen a bit, especially with the recruitment of key players and users. Think of all the teams that are formed out of the same groups of users or good players/users joining together to form a new team.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6941.jpg
3 Championships - ROTLW, Full Eclipse & RK Beer Barons -- 1 DPOY-Anne Bonney
5 2nd Team- Mason Charles, Vittorio Bene-2,  Black Taco-2, Roy G. Biv 4 1st Team - Vittorio Bene, Walrus Jones, Count Walrus, Mason Charles
9 All-D Awards-Mason Charles-5, Walrus Jones-2, Hikreem Allonyamom-2

#24 2010-05-17 16:09:07

BleedBlue
PM

bbkaos wrote:

Well its like....you just can't become a Lebron or Kobe in basketball in real life.  In CR, any player can be trained and put in a lineup in such a way that they can win MVP.  The players aren't important, the users/captain is everything.  People naturally focus on the players here, because that is what they do in real life.  That is fine, but it misses the point.

i understand this.
but, what your not considering is the best players on court rivals are usually some of the most knowledgeable of the game. It takes a more than a couple of seasons to get an "Elite" player.. and once an elite player joins your team, the dominoes start to fall and you slowly build up. this is EXACTLY what happened with my team.

Having an elite player on your team not only raises your competition level but it also intrigues other players to join.

Court rivals is easily compared to the NBA and i think trading and free agency would be the ultimate plus. Im just throwing the idea out there and seeing if it catches on. I would be more than willing to help set this up, or try it out via a forum, or anything. I just want to see if it would work, which i think it would. (kaz, im talking to you (: )

If anyone wants to pursue this with me, please PM me. we can talk about it smile

#25 2010-05-17 16:43:23

kr1shna
PM

i know TM is gonna pm you... but his success with the draft is ...well mediocre at best

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/29518.jpg
PG Keyboard Cat - MAC

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » The Future of Court Rivals: Trading, free agency, and the draft

Board footer