Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#26 2011-05-01 10:50:33

mickey20
Accomplishments: 0
PM  Website

Re: Espn Insider

All pitchers are liars or crybabies.-Yogi Berra
I don't dunk unless I have to. I guess you've got to have some kind of flair, and I don't.-Nate Thurmond
I'm the basketball version of a gravedigger.- Dennis Rodman
Duff Mckagan Forward Asian Sensation Jordan Pro c

#27 2011-05-01 11:14:46

Spangle61701
PM

mickey20 wrote:

Could somebody post this?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 … raftGrades

Haha, I was just going to ask the same. Everything is insider now. It's crazy.

#28 2011-05-06 00:00:03

rallydawg5
PM

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6101.jpg

i am back...i found myself and my soul during my absence

#29 2011-05-06 09:05:57

gochiefwahoo14
PM

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 … aft-110505

Can someone post this? I refuse to pay ESPN for Insider.

"They're gonna be poised, were gonna be more poised, they're gonna work hard, were gonna work harder, they gonna have fun, we gonna have more fun, they gonna try hard, were gonna win" -Eric Snow

#30 2011-05-06 17:13:59

rallydawg5
PM

anybody??

#31 2011-05-06 18:23:34

chetter
PM

#32 2011-05-06 18:34:53

rallydawg5
PM

chetter could you possibly do the one that I posted before that one?

#33 2011-05-07 00:57:37

chetter
PM

I don't have it.  I want someone else to do it so I can read it.

#34 2011-05-07 01:00:46

Slightly Hyphy
PM

rallydawg5 wrote:

Can someone post this???
http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/fanta … %3d6486059

Minors: Duffy almost ready for impact
May, 5, 2011
May 5
1:53
PM ET

Email
    Print
    Comments16

Prospect Watch: Danny Duffy
Jason Grey scouts Royals pitching prospect Danny DuffyTags: kansas city royals

Learn More » Report a bug » Feedback »
Most scouts consider Mike Montgomery the No. 1 starting pitching prospect in the Kansas City Royals' organization, and that is my assessment as well. But some scouts have his teammate, Danny Duffy, as, at worst, "No. 1A." That was part of the discussion in the scout section of games this week at Triple-A Albuquerque, where Duffy and Montgomery pitched on back-to-back nights for the visiting Omaha Storm Chasers.

[+] EnlargeDanny Duffy
AP Photo/Lenny IgnelziDanny Duffy has a major league-caliber fastball already, but his offspeed pitches still need some work.

I profiled Montgomery in detail (with video) in an April 7 blog, and while he has battled intermittent control issues this season, he was topping out at 96 mph when I saw him Wednesday night and has been keeping the ball on the ground and in the yard in a tough pitching environment. Having already written about Montgomery, let's talk about Duffy, who actually has put up a better stat line thus far.

The 22-year-old lefty has a 2.08 ERA and a 33-to-6 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 26 innings this season, and I saw him rebound from a rough first two innings Tuesday night to right the ship and finish strong, striking out nine batters in six innings.

Duffy's fastball sat in the 92-95 mph range with some natural lefty tail. His fastball command was OK, and he was working both halves of the plate with it. He struggled early to locate his offspeed stuff, allowing hitters to sit on the heater, but then he settled down and started throwing his curve and changeup for strikes, becoming what his manager, Mike Jirschele, called "a completely different pitcher." In fact, the changeup became his go-to pitch in the latter part of his outing. It was a plus offering with fade, good arm speed and nice velocity separation -- he pulled the string at 80-83 mph -- from the heater. He has the confidence to throw it against lefties and righties and is not afraid to double up on it in a single at-bat.

Duffy's 73-76 mph curve had its moments -- it has a nice 1-to-7 break -- but his feel for it has seemed to come and go in the past. He needs to tighten it up a little and make it more consistent, but he stuck with it in this outing and eventually started throwing it for strikes. (I know some scouts would like to see him try a slider, if only as a "show-me" offering to give him something that breaks a different direction on the nights his curve isn't working, but Duffy is sticking with his three-pitch mix for now.)

So what does Duffy still need to do to take that next step? According to Jirschele, Duffy must show more "consistency with command of his offspeed pitches. He's got the fastball, he's got the movement, and I don't think hitters see it real well." For his part, Duffy agreed, saying, "It's all about command; location is key. I have to be able to put it where I want to."

Duffy just needs to repeat his delivery better. There are times he doesn't finish off his delivery; he doesn't drive toward the plate and stay through every pitch. At other times, he doesn't use his 6-foot-3 height as well as he could, "sitting down" in his delivery. Also, Duffy has some long arm action, and he's a little stiff on the front side, so he needs to keep that delivery clean and the arm loose. More consistency with his mechanics will lead to that needed consistency with the secondary pitches. There's no doubt the raw ability is there for him to pitch near the front of a big league rotation.

Duffy did take two months off at the beginning of last season to "reassess his life priorities," as the team put it, but the Royals are obviously very happy to have him back, and that will soon extend to fantasy owners as well.

Duffy and Montgomery have similarities that go beyond wearing the same uniform. They're both young southpaws with good velocity, the ability to throw three plus pitches and the chance to be in the Royals rotation by the second half of the season. So which one will arrive first? It honestly could be either one. At the beginning of the season, I would have said Montgomery, but now it could be Duffy, who has been throwing more strikes. Regardless, I see them both getting the call and having fantasy impact at some point in 2011, especially in AL-only leagues.

Top 11 for '11

The now-standard caveats: There's a certain throwing-darts-at-the-wall nature to determining a list like this, because there's no telling when a player will actually arrive on the scene. Who will get the summons obviously depends on a variety of factors, such as team needs, injuries and performance. For example, injuries in the Twins' lineup just got Ben Revere a promotion. If injuries hit their rotation, Kyle Gibson likely would get the call as well.

Thus, for the purpose of this list, I try to balance a prospect's upside with who is likely to get an opportunity in the near future. I look for potential paths to big league playing time, factor in service-time concerns and rank only players who: (1) are still rookie-eligible; and (2) are not already in the major leagues. To highlight some different names, I'm also not including players such as Brandon Belt and Mike Minor, who have already been in the big leagues this year but have been sent back down, even though both certainly belong in the top half of the list.

Please note that this list is for 2011 fantasy value only, not for the long haul, so you won't see names such as Bryce Harper on it. Not yet, anyway. It spotlights players who could help fantasy teams this season, with no regard for 2012 and beyond. Season the list to your particular taste and your fantasy team's needs.

1. Eric Hosmer, 1B, Royals: Service-time concerns are the only thing keeping the best first-base prospect in the minors, because his bat is ready. He has had a fantastic approach at the plate while hitting an unreal .439 at Triple-A (in 26 games), and if anything I came away even more impressed with him after watching him this week at Albuquerque. For more detail, check out the Hosmer profile I wrote last November (when he was in the Arizona Fall League). (UPDATE: Buster Olney reports that Hosmer has been summoned from Triple-A and will join the Royals on Friday.)

2. Desmond Jennings, OF, Rays: Jennings has posted a .397 on-base percentage in his first 27 games at Triple-A while going a perfect 8-for-8 in steal attempts. Jennings could rack up steals in a hurry once he's eventually recalled. That might not be until sometime in mid-to-late June, but he could still have a big impact in the steals category in a short period of time, if you have a need for speed.

3. Domonic Brown, OF, Phillies: Brown has homered in two of his first seven games in the minors as he returns from a broken bone in his wrist. That's a good first step in showing that he can avoid the struggles to hit for power that often accompany the early stages of a return from a hamate injury. If Brown continues hitting, manager Charlie Manuel indicated last week there could be room for the young outfielder again in the Phillies lineup in the near future.

[+] EnlargeBrett Lawrie
Al Messerschmidt/Getty ImagesBrett Lawrie's defense is still a work in progress and a reason why he wasn't called up when the Jays needed another infielder.

4. Brett Lawrie, 3B, Blue Jays: Even with all the injuries the Jays have had in their infield, they said they aren't going to rush this 21-year-old. Lawrie's transition to the hot corner is still a work in progress defensively, but after turning heads in spring training, he's not far off. David Cooper got the call recently instead of Lawrie because the club wants Lawrie to continue to work on his defense and not expand the strike zone as much. Lawrie is off to a good start with the bat at Triple-A, hitting .345 with four homers and going 6-for-6 on the basepaths (albeit in a good hitting environment).

5. Mike Moustakas, 3B, Royals: He's off to a slow start at Triple-A as he deals with some mechanical issues in his swing, but he's making good contact, and I expect he'll go on a hot streak soon. Neither Mike Aviles nor Wilson Betemit will stand in Moustakas' way, once the former No. 2 overall draft pick is ready, and he should spend a good portion of the second half of the season as the Royals' starting third baseman.

6. Anthony Rizzo, 1B, Padres: With the tandem of Brad Hawpe and Jorge Cantu not hitting for the Padres and Rizzo on fire at Triple-A, we could see a shakeup in the near future. The rehabbing Kyle Blanks is also in the mix, although he hasn't been too impressive at Double-A. I think Rizzo could hit right-handed pitching in the big leagues right now (though he'd probably struggle against lefties), and he's hitting .402 with nine homers in his first 26 games at Triple-A.

7. Jesus Montero, C, Yankees: There are still major questions about him defensively, but not with his bat. He needs the Yankees' DH spot to open up or another injury to strike at catcher, but he's hitting over .373 in his first 19 Triple-A games.

8. Brett Jackson, OF, Cubs: The Cubs are still trying to find playing time for Tyler Colvin, but if their offense continues to flounder or if there's an injury or two, Jackson could get the call. The 22-year-old is hitting .294 with a .416 on-base percentage, three homers and nine steals at Double-A, and the Cubs have never been shy about promoting prospects aggressively.

9. Andrew Oliver, SP, Tigers: Oliver has fanned 31 batters in 29 2/3 innings in his first five Triple-A starts and is next in line if/when the Tigers need to fill a spot in their rotation. He threw seven innings of shutout ball in his last outing, striking out six.

10. Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B. Indians: Chisenhall is expected to become the team's starting third baseman at some point this season, but he still has some questions to answer about how adeptly his sweet left-handed stroke can hit southpaws (he's just 7-for-37 against them thus far). We also need to keep an eye on his teammate, second baseman Jason Kipnis, as a potential call-up as well.

11. Dustin Ackley, 2B, Mariners: Another former No. 2 overall draft pick, Ackley could be the Mariners' starting second baseman by the second half of the year. He's still working on his defense and is batting just .214 at Triple-A, but he continues to have a good approach at the plate with more walks than strikeouts.

Just missing the cut: Duffy and Montgomery.

"When I play ball I really like to bang with the big men down low. I'm pretty aggressive but sometimes bobbling balls is a challenge-you've just got to really reach in there and really get a firm hold. When it comes down to it, I really just have to pound it up in there if I want to score" -MyNetsForLife

#35 2011-05-07 01:01:31

Slightly Hyphy
PM

chetter wrote:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=schefter_adam&id=6491998&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fblog%3fname%3dschefter_adam%26id%3d6491998

Kevin Kolb will end up in Arizona
May, 6, 2011
May 6
9:03
AM ET

Email
    Print
    Comments13

Kevin KolbAP Photo/Paul SpinelliKevin Kolb could be the starting QB for the Arizona Cardinals next season.

Adam Schefter answers readers' questions every Monday and Friday in his blog. Got a query of your own? Submit it here.

Q: Now that the draft is over and several quarterback-needy teams have drafted a player at that position, what do you think the market for Kevin Kolb will be like?

-- Jin (N.Y.)

A: Jin: The market for Kolb will be similar to what it was before, minus the San Francisco 49ers and Cincinnati Bengals. I still think the Seattle Seahawks will have some interest. And still think the Arizona Cardinals are the overwhelming favorites to land his services.

The Cardinals and Eagles were allowed to discuss a deal at various points this offseason, including the first day of the draft. Arizona had the chance to draft Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert in Round 1 -- and passed. That tells me that the Cardinals believe they can find a way to land Kolb once trades are allowed. And Philadelphia knows it has to trade Kolb for this reason: After this season, Kolb's contract is set to expire. The Eagles can't afford to pay both Michael Vick, whom they intend to re-sign to a long-term deal, and Kolb. So if Philadelphia wants to get back compensation for Kolb, this will be the time to do it. And if Arizona wants to compete in the NFC West, Kolb is the quarterback to lead the way. It's an ideal match. And I think eventually, ultimately, it will happen.

Q: Adam, enjoyed watching you during NFL draft coverage first off! I was wondering what you think Mike Shanahan and the Washington Redskins plan to do at QB? I've heard John Beck (hard to believe), Albert Haynesworth for Kyle Orton and even a possibility of Vince Young. Who will be Shanahan's franchise QB?

-- Brendan (N.C.)

A: For now, Brendan, it looks like Beck. But let's clear up some loose ends. Washington never seriously considered a quarterback in Round 1 and never was going to trade up for one in this draft. Ever. And with the Redskins passing up the chance to draft a quarterback, the signs now point to Beck as Washington's starting quarterback in 2011. For starters, the team is expected to try to trade Donovan McNabb, and Rex Grossman is scheduled to be a free agent, leaving Beck as the only veteran quarterback under contract. It's also worth pointing out that Beck had better stats as a senior at Brigham Young than the quarterbacks the Redskins could have drafted and didn't at the top of the draft. During his senior season, Beck threw 32 touchdown passes and only eight interceptions, while completing 69.3 percent of his passes. Plus, Washington likes Beck's sense of timing and the skills he demonstrated during his one year with the team. The Redskins didn't think that many of these young quarterbacks would leave them any better off than Beck would. They're big believers in Beck, a player they acquired last summer from Baltimore for cornerback Doug Dutch. So you might as well believe, Brendan. All signs now point to Beck as the opening-day starter.

Q: I can't understand what the Seahawks are doing at QB -- short term or long term. Is there any plan other than Charlie Whitehurst? Personally, I think it would be a mistake to let Matt Hasselbeck go while two division rivals are a quarterback away from challenging in a winnable division. What do you think Seattle's plan is?

-- Byron (Wash.)

A: The Seahawks invested a lot in Whitehurst, Byron, and they believe there is something there. So he's a primary option. But Hasselbeck's friend, Trent Dilfer, said Hasselbeck would be leaving Seattle. And if Dilfer said it, believe it. So let's work under the assumption that Dilfer is right. The Seahawks are going to have to go out and sign or trade for another quarterback. Don't know that Pete Carroll will want some of the hype that would come along with signing his former USC quarterback, Matt Leinart. Seattle would prefer a way to land another former USC quarterback, Carson Palmer, but the Bengals have been adamant that they won't trade him. So now the Seahawks will have to find someone else to compete for the starting job. Seattle fans probably won't like this and Minnesota might be amused by it, but I wouldn't discount Minnesota Vikings free-agent quarterback Tarvaris Jackson; he worked with the Seahawks' new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and could pick up Seattle's new offense quickly after this lockout ends, whenever it ends. But Seattle will have to come up with someone, because Whitehurst alone will put the Seahawks at a disadvantage.

Q: Are you getting any indications that teams are pre-making deals for players for when a new agreement is in place? It seems like a handful of teams passed on needed positions in the draft and I thought that besides free agency maybe this is an avenue teams are taking.

-- Ryan (Neb.)

A: Don't think that teams have pre-made deals or understandings, Ryan. But I do believe that teams have insights into where certain players could end up. It's not hard to figure out that the Cardinals will make a run at Kolb, and the Eagles will be anxious to listen. But my sense is that teams and agents have been much more cautious this offseason than they've been in any recent offseason. I don't think there have been anywhere near the number of wink-wink deals this year that there have been in other years. Teams and players are ready to go, though, it's a question of when the courts -- and the two sides -- will let them.

"When I play ball I really like to bang with the big men down low. I'm pretty aggressive but sometimes bobbling balls is a challenge-you've just got to really reach in there and really get a firm hold. When it comes down to it, I really just have to pound it up in there if I want to score" -MyNetsForLife

#36 2011-05-07 01:02:02

Slightly Hyphy
PM

You're both welcome smile

#37 2011-05-09 23:36:14

rallydawg5
PM

Thanks didn't even see this til now

whenever possible could you copy this:
http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/rumors?rumorId=9418

#38 2011-05-17 23:00:12

tosweet68
World War I Flying Ace
PM

Anyone post Chad Fords latest NBA mock?

West Champions Angry Robots Attack - Season 24, 26  We Hunt For Naked Girls Season 35
RGM Mavs - Playoffs Seasons 2-38 Sweet 16 - Seasons 3, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 21, 27, 31, 35, 38 Elite 8 - Seasons 8, 15, 17, 20, 24, 25, 29, 30 Final 4 - Seasons 6, 28, 32, 33, 34 Championship Runner-Up - Season 5, 36, 37

#39 2011-06-02 19:54:20

Oriolekid
PM

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/20 … %3d6614441

I'm sorry to bother people but can someone tell me the 4 O's they are talking about that they mentioned in the header.

I have a hunch but I'd just like to know for sure.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/24804.jpg

#40 2011-06-02 20:20:53

WFUnDina
PM

It's the week before the draft, so teams and fans are filled with optimism, and none more so than teams with highly coveted single-digit picks. That's where the elite talent comes from. Those are the guys who can potentially change the state of a franchise. Those are the players who often become a team's top prospect the moment they sign their name to a contract. That said, they don't always work out, and for a variety of reasons. So in the interest of raining on everybody's parade, especially those in Baltimore, here's a reminder of the 10 worst single-digit draft picks in the last decade.

1. Matt Bush, San Diego Padres, 2004 (No. 1 overall)
Now that Bush is trying to remake himself as a relief pitcher with the Rays, he's destined to become the first position player drafted No. 1 overall not to reach the big leagues as a position player since the Mets selected catcher Steve Chilcott with the top pick in 1966 instead of Reggie Jackson. Don't blame the Padres' baseball people at the time. Kevin Towers and his scouting department had their eyes on Florida State shortstop Stephen Drew, as well as the top two college pitchers on the board, Justin Verlander of Old Dominion and Jered Weaver of Long Beach State. Ownership didn't want to pay big bucks, and when Bush, a local product, stepped in and said he would sign quickly, the wrong decision was made. Things went south quickly when he was arrested for his role in a fight outside a bar in Arizona before he even played a game. He hit just .219/.294/.276 in 223 injury-plagued games before moving to the mound, and scouts are not convinced that his plus-plus velocity will get him to the big leagues until he finds a second pitch and throws more strikes.

2. Wade Townsend, Baltimore Orioles and Tampa Bay Rays, 2004 and 2005 (No. 8 overall twice)
Double your pleasure, double your mistakes. Like Bush, the Orioles' mistake was produced by ownership intervention, when Peter Angelos insisted at the last moment that the team pick a college pitcher who would sign cheap and move through the system quickly. As it turned out, Baltimore missed on the first half of that equation, as the two sides never agreed to terms, allowing the Rays to burden a career destroyed by elbow and shoulder surgery by selecting him with the exact same pick one year later. He pitched in just 64 games as a pro over five years, finishing with a 5.58 ERA.

2011 MLB Draft
Who will be the first names called in the 2011 MLB Draft? Get all the insight from Keith Law and Insider's team of draft experts. Mock Draft 2.0

MLB Draft Index
2011 Draft Tracker and scouting reports
MLB Draft Blog
3. Colt Griffin, RHP, Kansas City Royals, 2001 (No. 9 overall)
In the spring of 2001, Griffin was the stuff of legend. Seemingly out of nowhere, in a small town in northeast Texas was a kid with a Roger Clemens body and a fastball that touched 100 mph. Despite not having much else on the positive side of the ledger with his scouting report, the velocity alone was enough to earn a $2.4 million bonus. He walked 87 batters, hit 16 more and uncorked 29 wild pitches over fewer than 100 innings in his full season debut, and things never got better, as his secondary offerings never developed, and he couldn't throw strikes with his fastball, even after dialing down the velocity. He hung them up at the age of 22 with more walks (278) than strikeouts (271) in 373 1/3 career innings.

4. Chris Smith, LHP, Baltimore Orioles, 2001 (No. 7 overall)
While Griffin was a bust, it was the selection of Smith that had more people scratching their heads on draft day 10 years ago. A position player at Florida State, Smith transferred to a small NAIA school in Tennessee so he could pitch, and while he showed some serious arm strength, he was short, wide-bodied and very raw. He walked 21 while striking out just four in 11 Appy League innings during the summer of 2002, and wouldn't pitch again until 2004 following shoulder surgery. One year later, he was out of organized baseball with a career ERA of 6.12 in just 49 appearances.

5. Kyle Sleeth, RHP, Detroit Tigers, 2003 (No. 3 overall)
There was certainly nothing wrong with the Sleeth selection at the time. The first pitcher selected in the 2003 draft, Sleeth was a 6-foot-5 classic power pitcher who had tied the NCAA record with 26 consecutive wins between his sophomore and junior seasons. He reached Double-A during his first full year with Detroit, but his stuff dropped off considerably at the end of the season, when it was announced he required Tommy John surgery. While such a procedure is often seen as just a temporary setback by many, the rate of recovery is nowhere near 100 percent, and Sleeth was never the same. After putting up eight-plus ERAs in both 2006 and 2007, he retired, and now owns a successful barbershop franchise in Florida.

6. Billy Rowell, 3B, Baltimore Orioles, 2006 (No. 9 overall)
In a weak year for high school hitters, Rowell was the first such player to be drafted in 2006, as the 6-5 prep star from New Jersey had arguably the best raw power available. He quickly got bigger, got slower and was always bad defensively, but most importantly, he just never developed as a hitter. He carries a career batting line of .261/.330/.390 into Wednesday's action while hitting .225 without a home run in his first taste of Double-A after three seasons in the Carolina League. And yet, the most painful thing about the Rowell selection is not his failed career, but rather who the Orioles did not select; with the very next pick, the San Francisco Giants took a little right-hander with electric stuff from the University of Washington named Tim Lincecum.

7. Kyle Skipworth, C, Florida Marlins, 2008 (6th overall)
By the latter part of the decade, most teams were actively sticking their tongues out at the commissioner's bonus recommendations, but somehow, that memo never got to the Marlins, whose thrifty ways have always extended to the draft. Because the team is rarely outright bad, this is their only single-digit pick since 2000, when they selected Adrian Gonzalez at No. 1, and they just plain dropped the ball with Skipworth, who was seen as more of an early teen talent than this high a selection. He signed quickly and without any over-slot shenanigans, but that's about the only positive thing to say about his career. While there was some concern about his defense, scouts certainly thought he would hit coming out of high school, and he's done anything but, sporting a career batting average of .219 with 320 strikeouts in 259 games, including a .176 mark this season in his first exposure to Double-A pitching.

8. Matt Hobgood, RHP, Baltimore Orioles, 2009 (5th overall)
Depressed yet, Baltimore fans? The Orioles insisted that Hobgood was the guy they wanted all along at No. 5 two years ago, but that ruse was quickly exposed when he became the rare high pick to sign for a figure actually below the recommended slot. Seen as more of a mid-to-late-first-round talent heading into the draft, Hobgood's stuff has never been anywhere close to his high school days, and after rarely getting out of the 80s with his fastball and putting up a 4.40 ERA at low Class A Delmarva in 2010 with just 59 strikeouts in 94 innings, he suffered a shoulder injury this spring that he is still recovering from. This might be a premature call, but nothing is moving in the right direction.

9. Casey Weathers, RHP, Colorado Rockies, 2007 (8th overall)
Teams sometimes go the college reliever route in the first round, hoping to find an arm that can move quickly, but it's rarely a gambit used with such a high pick. The 2007 draft was not an especially strong one, which may have tipped the Rockies' decision to draft Weathers, but four years later, they are still waiting for him to reach the majors. Weathers ended up a pitcher by accident after he and a junior college teammate took to the mound to see which outfielder could throw harder. Weathers not only won the contest, but touched the mid-90s and a closer was born. After dominating at Vanderbilt, Weathers was poised to contend for a roster spot in 2009 before being sidelined by Tommy John surgery. He still throws hard, but what was once already below-average control is now a real problem, as he's walked 35 over 44 2/3 innings since his return to go along with a 4.63 ERA.

10. Chris Lubanski, OF, Kansas City Royals, 2003 (5th overall)
Still one of the more baffling picks in recent memory, Lubanski was the national player of the year at Kennedy-Kendrick High School in Pennsylvania, and a perfectly legitimate selection by the Royals at the time, but he quickly turned into a completely different player. As an amateur, he was a plus-plus runner with a bit of pop that reminded some of former 1992 Royals first-round pick Johnny Damon, but he quickly transformed in unexpected ways, as his speed was gone by the time he was 21, turning him into a bulky corner outfielder without enough bat to get to the big leagues. Released by the Royals after the 2009 season, he hit .293 with 17 home runs for the Blue Jays' Triple-A affiliate in Las Vegas last year, but couldn't find an offer for 2011 and is now with the Chico Outlaws in the independent North American League.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6656.jpg
My blog in the works.... http://nohomersallowed.blogspot.com/

#41 2011-06-02 20:21:53

WFUnDina
PM

On a side note. I thought it was fucking hilarious., I got my ESPN magazine today.  It was tabbed, the photo issue.  They are all photo issues!

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6656.jpg
My blog in the works.... http://nohomersallowed.blogspot.com/

#42 2011-06-23 10:31:53

mutigers28
PM

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/tourname … %3d6663452

if that doesnt work it is "The Top 10 Backcourts in 2011-2012" in college basketball. thanks

2 Championships: Question Mark S14, Candy Trafficking Task Force S14

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/1348.jpg

#43 2011-07-02 11:41:34

gochiefwahoo14
PM

"They're gonna be poised, were gonna be more poised, they're gonna work hard, were gonna work harder, they gonna have fun, we gonna have more fun, they gonna try hard, were gonna win" -Eric Snow

#44 2011-07-02 17:48:37

rallydawg5
PM

gochiefwahoo14 wrote:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=6728576&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fblog%3fname%3dolney_buster%26id%3d6728576

is that the trade rumors by Buster Olney??

#45 2011-07-23 22:49:17

Spangle61701
PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/ … -scenarios

Can somebody post this? I need some laughs.

#46 2011-07-24 11:07:10

OctaneHugo
PM

Spangle61701 wrote:

http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post/_/id/837/evaluating-five-facebook-trade-scenarios

Can somebody post this? I need some laughs.

PROPOSAL NO. 1

Facebook friend: Jimmy Maricle

Trade scenario: The Cincinnati Reds trade RHP Edinson Volquez, SS Paul Janish and a top prospect to the Chicago Cubs for RHP Ryan Dempster, LF Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named later.

Jimmy Maricle
Courtesy of FacebookFrom the ESPN Baseball Tonight page.
Analysis: Obviously, it’s difficult to address the proposal without knowing who the top prospect would be or without a list of possible "players to be named later," so I will have to evaluate the deal without them.

The Reds would get a solid No. 2 starter in Dempster to put between Johnny Cueto and Bronson Arroyo. Dempster would compete, provide valuable innings and improve the rotation. Soriano can still hit home runs and would probably hit 30 playing in Great American Ball Park. His legs are not what they used to be, and he’s a below-average defender. He profiles as a No. 6 hole hitter at this point in his career. His occasional three-run homers would help the bottom of the Reds' lineup.

The Cubs would receive Volquez with hopes that he can return to the form of 2008 when he won 17 games. Volquez is only 27, but there are concerns that he hasn’t been the same pitcher since the Tommy John surgery and positive PED test from 2009. He still would be a worthwhile gamble for the Cubs. Janish is a good defensive shortstop who’s not going to hit enough to be an everyday player but a suitable backup for Starlin Castro for years to come.

The contract of the players will play a huge part in evaluating this proposed trade. Soriano is in the midst of an eight-year deal for $136 million that expires in 2014. He also has a complete no-trade clause. Dempster is in the midst of a four-year deal for $52 million that expires after 2012. He too has no-trade rights. Volquez is under a one-year, $1.62 million deal with incentives that total $50,000. Janish is under a one-year deal for $437,500.

The Reds would never be able to make this deal financially unless the Cubs were willing to pay all of Soriano’s remaining contract. The deal would also hinge on both Dempster and Soriano eradicating their respective no-trade clauses, something that Dempster has said he’s not willing to do. Dempster and Soriano, however, would give the Reds two veteran players who have tremendous work ethic and veteran leadership capabilities.

For the Reds to make this deal, besides the Cubs' willingness to pay all of Soriano’s contract, they would have to be convinced that Volquez won’t bounce back in the next couple of years. When he’s healthy, he’s shown flashes of being a top-of-the-rotation starter, and the Reds control him for three more years. Janish is expendable because of the emergence of Zack Cozart. The Cubs would love to get out of Soriano’s contract, and if they trade Dempster, they would probably prefer dealing for a top prospect like first baseman Yonder Alonso or catcher Devin Mesoraco.

This deal is not going to happen because of the no-trade clauses and financial exposure the Reds would have to assume. However, strictly from a talent perspective, Jimmy, this was a good trade idea.

By the way, Jimmy, I would not change pitching coaches. Price has always been a top-tier major league pitching coach. Power will be one someday as well, but not at this time or at Price’s expense.

PROPOSAL NO. 2

Facebook friend: Tim Layman

Trade scenario: The San Diego Padres trade OF Ryan Ludwick and CL Heath Bell to the St. Louis Cardinals for OF Colby Rasmus.

Tim Layman
Analysis: The Cardinals would love to get Bell from the Padres as a “rental” player for the remainder of the season. Bell is one of the best closers in the National League, and the deal would solve the team’s biggest weakness in the back end of their bullpen. While he would be returning to St. Louis, Ludwick would no longer fit on the team with Matt Holliday in left field, Lance Berkman in right field and Albert Pujols at first base.

The Padres would get Rasmus, 23, a young left-handed outfielder who hasn’t reached his potential yet, but eventually will become a 25-30 home run hitter. In spacious Petco Park, Rasmus would play one of the corners since they already have Cameron Maybin in center field. Rasmus will eventually be an All-Star and would be a solid acquisition for the Padres for Bell and Ludwick in the long term.

The Cardinals don’t want to trade Rasmus and can probably find a way to get Bell by trading prospects (although not Shelby Miller or Carlos Martinez) rather than including him in this deal. Ludwick is not going back to Cardinals, but Tim, this was still a solid trade idea.

PROPOSAL NO. 3

Facebook friend: Marc Miller

Trade scenario: The New York Yankees send RHP Ivan Nova and C Jesus Montero to the St. Louis Cardinals for RHP Chris Carpenter.

Marc Miller
Analysis: The Yankees aren’t going to make the mistake of trading their top young prospects, even if it means a better chance to win a World Series in 2011. Montero is improving behind the plate and despite a down year offensively, he still projects to be a future middle-of-the-order impact bat for the Yankees for a long time. With Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Jorge Posada getting older, it’s important for the Yankees to call on the next generation like they did with Robinson Cano and Phil Hughes a couple of years ago. Nova should develop into a solid No. 3 starter in time.

Carpenter had a tough first half of the year, but he is on a roll now and is a true No. 1 starter. Montero isn’t a great fit on the Cardinals because they have the best defensive catcher in baseball in Yadier Molina, although Montero would be a good option at first base if Pujols signs elsewhere in the offseason. It would be difficult for any club to trade their No. 1 starter in the middle of a pennant race, especially for the Cardinals, who are not going to win the NL Central without Carpenter.

Marc, while your trade idea is interesting, it's not a deal either team would do today.

PROPOSAL NO. 4

Facebook friend: Gilbert Rodriguez

Trade scenario: The Los Angeles Dodgers trade 1B James Loney, RHP Hiroki Kuroda and a future draft pick to the St. Louis Cardinals for 1B Albert Pujols.

Gilbert Rodriguez
Analysis: Sorry, Gilbert, but this trade idea is terrible. First, you can’t trade draft picks in baseball. Second, Kuroda has a no-trade clause, although I still think he’d waive it for the right transaction. Third, Loney wouldn’t start for the Cardinals even if Pujols were traded because they have Lance Berkman, Colby Rasmus, Jon Jay and Matt Holliday. Finally, Pujols will NEVER be traded by the Cardinals. NEVER. If he leaves, it will only be through free agency.

Thanks for your idea, anyway.

PROPOSAL NO. 5

Facebook friend: Brady Dignan

Trade scenario: The New York Mets trade Carlos Beltran and a top relief pitcher to the Atlanta Braves for RHP Randall Delgado or RHP Arodys Vizcaino and CF Jordan Schafer.

Brady Dignan
Analysis: The Braves would acquire a 34-year-old switch-hitting corner outfielder for the middle of their lineup. Beltran doesn’t move like he used to and therefore is better positioned in a corner rather than in center field. However, when Chipper Jones comes back in few weeks, Martin Prado will go back to left, Jason Heyward would be in right, meaning Beltran would have to play center. I love Beltran's bat for the Braves, but I’m not sure about his defense. I'm not sure who you meant by “top relief pitcher” also going to the Braves in the deal, but if you meant Bobby Parnell, the Braves should hurry up and make this deal happen.

The Mets would do extremely well in a Beltran deal if they ended up with Delgado or Vizcaino, the Braves' best pitching prospects after Julio Teheran. Schafer would give the Mets a solid defensive center fielder with a plus plus arm. The question is whether he would hit enough.

Beltran is a “rental” player and will be a free agent at the end of the season. The assignee club (in this case, the Braves) would be contractually prohibited from offering Beltran arbitration at the end of the contract. Therefore, there would not be any draft-choice compensation. If the Braves didn't re-sign Beltran, they’ll would have to watch Delgado or Vizcaino pitch for the Mets for the next several years like they did with Adam Wainwright when they traded him to the Cardinals for J.D. Drew several years ago.

The deal does make sense for both teams, though, as long as the top relief pitcher going to the Braves isn’t Parnell but instead a pitcher like Jason Isringhausen or a minor-league, mid-level pitching prospect.

This was good trade idea, Brady, and with some alterations, it could actually come to fruition before the deadline.

#47 2011-07-25 09:37:11

Spangle61701
PM

Thanks man. That fourth one is complete lol. lol

Board footer