Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-29 21:15:20

OctaneHugo
Accomplishments: 0
PM

Graphic Play-By-Play Brainstorm Thread

Customary Mockup:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6924/crcourtpbp1ig8.png
Body:
I figure this would be a welcome addition to the game; it'd certainly add some "zest" and flair to it and convince some people that premium is worth it. If people wanted to watch a certain portion of play, you would just go to the text PBP and click the section you want, and it would begin playing the PBP.
Problems could include:
-People who ignore the "Defense is Cumulative" factor and complain that for the entire game their PG guarded the other teams PF who scored 15 points. Or, blaming their SG for the other SG's 50 point performance, causing that player to train defense to 300.
-Idiots who think GLB is the first game to ever utilize this technology and accuse the game of stealing it.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, comments, complaints, etc., PLEASE post them here. I want this to progress until we can have some very nice reasons wink.

Last edited by OctaneHugo (2008-09-29 21:17:45)

#2 2008-09-29 21:16:51

Totaleclipse95
PM

Re: Graphic Play-By-Play Brainstorm Thread

I like it

#3 2008-09-29 21:32:06

I Am Basketball
The UnBanned
PM

Nice!

Proud Member of The Replacements, ROTLW, The Tanks- S13 Champs
Both teams were reasonably balanced and the better team won today
Voted Best Avatar by the people  ~~ RIP supert420, a99tobe, camel, KIMBO, Cundiff, spevin and many...many more.
"We killed Drybones and ate him." - TheKaz  "This thread is as queer as a ten dollar bill." - Kazz

#4 2008-09-29 21:35:38

shadow33
PM

Yes this could be the future of season 5 maybe even season 6

#5 2008-09-29 21:37:41

DemonDeacs
PM  Website

+1

I suggested something like this before.

Nice work on the picture. smile

#6 2008-09-29 21:37:47

Bgirl
Administrator
PM  Website

Definitely a very cool idea, though it is a BIG project.

#7 2008-09-29 21:45:41

shadow33
PM

Bgirl wrote:

Definitely a very cool idea, though it is a BIG project.

Yeah and it will take time to do that's why if you do it introduced it in the middle of season 5

#8 2008-09-29 21:46:31

tks91
PM

i would buy premium for this

CHAM-PI-NO-SHIP CREW  Kobe Bryant 24

Kobe Bryant:
I'll do whatever it takes to win games, whether it's sitting on a bench waving a towel, handing a cup of water to a teammate, or hitting the game-winning shot.

#9 2008-09-29 21:47:56

TheKaz
Creator / Lead Developer
PM  Website

Hey wow awesome idea.

I think the biggest concern here is that pulling such an idea off with fluid animation would...

1. Necessitate that there are only a "set" number of plays that can be run. There's no way I can cover *every* possible combination of players moving all over the place.  So most likely you'd see something like 5 possible animations happen when the play reads "jump shot: missed"

2. Player numbers would need to be added to the game.  I think a blue circle that says "3" will mean more to people than a blue circle that says "PG" smile

3. The animation and making the "pretty circles" move- This looks like a job for Flash through and through.  Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in Adobe Flash, but if anyone has any experience writing semi-complex Flash apps like the one OctaneHugo has elegantly laid out, then by all means contact me.  Otherwise the learning curve may make this more of a long term project.

#10 2008-09-29 21:52:11

24Bryant24
PM

TheKaz wrote:

Hey wow awesome idea.

I think the biggest concern here is that pulling such an idea off with fluid animation would...

1. Necessitate that there are only a "set" number of plays that can be run. There's no way I can cover *every* possible combination of players moving all over the place.  So most likely you'd see something like 5 possible animations happen when the play reads "jump shot: missed"

2. Player numbers would need to be added to the game.  I think a blue circle that says "3" will mean more to people than a blue circle that says "PG" smile

3. The animation and making the "pretty circles" move- This looks like a job for Flash through and through.  Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in Adobe Flash, but if anyone has any experience writing semi-complex Flash apps like the one OctaneHugo has elegantly laid out, then by all means contact me.  Otherwise the learning curve may make this more of a long term project.

Id say Middle Season 5. Start of 6. We could also have team colors!

WALLshington

#11 2008-09-29 21:52:54

tarheelsunc
Banned
PM  Website

TheKaz wrote:

Hey wow awesome idea.

I know some Flash... Unfortunately, I would have no clue how to make the circles move automatically.

This account has been suspended.

#12 2008-09-29 21:53:19

I Am Basketball
The UnBanned
PM

Haha make it with Pivot tongue

Voted Best Avatar by the people  ~~ RIP supert420, a99tobe, camel, KIMBO, Cundiff, spevin and many...many more.
"We killed Drybones and ate him." - TheKaz  "This thread is as queer as a ten dollar bill." - Kazz

#13 2008-09-29 21:56:27

24Bryant24
PM

Then we can have Like Customizable HomeCourts!!

WALLshington

#14 2008-09-29 21:57:47

shadow33
PM

24Bryant24 wrote:

That would be cool

#15 2008-09-29 21:59:08

Renomitsu
PM

24Bryant24 wrote:

And we'll be able to upgrade our stadium --
Awkwardly Proportioned Cheerleaders - 50 CR Points
Creepy Mascot - 90 CR Points
Child-Molesting Janitor - Priceless

#16 2008-09-29 22:02:35

DemonDeacs
PM  Website

Renomitsu wrote:

24Bryant24 wrote:

ban ban ban ban

tongue

#17 2008-09-29 22:03:31

24Bryant24
PM

I mean after this whole main project is made. Then we can start the Crowd and Floor.

WALLshington

#18 2008-09-29 22:08:25

I Am Basketball
The UnBanned
PM

DemonDeacs wrote:

Renomitsu wrote:

24Bryant24 wrote:

ban ban ban ban

tongue

hahahahaha,

ban for you
and a ban for you
and oh look! a ban for you!

#19 2008-09-29 22:50:09

OctaneHugo
PM

TheKaz wrote:

Hey wow awesome idea.

1: I figure for a jump shot you'd just have the ball go up and come down, for dunk the rim shakes, for layup the player drives in....stuff like that.

2: That'd definitely be a cool idea. Dibs on 18 Crusaders.

3: I know how to animate in Flash (make objects move around) but not code or anything.

#20 2008-09-30 07:20:09

luckystriker
PM

This is a great idea. Check out Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 for inspiration and screenshots. It's a soccer sim that uses a 2D match engine to simulate games and it's scarily realistic.

If you attempt to do this Kaz, it's going to take months, not weeks, and all I can say is that if you think people are bitching now about the sim, just you wait until they can see that defender acting stupid and not close down a 3-pt attempt. IMO, no visual representation is better than bad visual representation.

Fighting Mongooses S1: South champs, S2: West champs + Finals Loss, S3: North champs
Just Blaze S10: North champs + League Title, S11 South champs + League Title
Pawtucket Pats S12: East champs + Finals loss

#21 2008-09-30 07:25:30

Branduil
PM

I'd suggest, if you do this, it needs to have several people dedicated to just making this work.

Of course, it'd be a great draw for premium memberships.

Also, it'd be neat if there was a way you could put an avatar of your player in the circle instead of just a number.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6532.jpg

#22 2008-09-30 09:11:10

RobNJ564
PM

Something I was thinking about - it would be easier than graphics and would definitely be different, would be audio play by play.  All you'd need is someone with a little creativity and some sound effects (crowd noise, a buzzer).  I guarantee I could do it if I had a complete play by play printout in advance and was "calling" the game as it went along.

The drawback would be that whoever did the audio would need the pbp in advance so they could record it.  I don't know if you could sync up the audio with the visual so the audio play by play would have to replace the printed out version.  Also, unless you had an awful lot of voice talent you could only do one game per night - a "Court Rivals Game of the Night" feature perhaps.  The two teams in the game of the night might have to have roster lock a little earlier than 8:00 p.m. unless it was very well coordinated.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/4858.jpg

Get a different perspective on sports and pop culture. http://guysgirl.com/
Fight the Power.  Show Your Support.  http://occupywallst.org/

#23 2008-09-30 09:25:24

Branduil
PM

RobNJ564 wrote:

Something I was thinking about - it would be easier than graphics and would definitely be different, would be audio play by play.  All you'd need is someone with a little creativity and some sound effects (crowd noise, a buzzer).  I guarantee I could do it if I had a complete play by play printout in advance and was "calling" the game as it went along.

The drawback would be that whoever did the audio would need the pbp in advance so they could record it.  I don't know if you could sync up the audio with the visual so the audio play by play would have to replace the printed out version.  Also, unless you had an awful lot of voice talent you could only do one game per night - a "Court Rivals Game of the Night" feature perhaps.  The two teams in the game of the night might have to have roster lock a little earlier than 8:00 p.m. unless it was very well coordinated.

I don't think play-by-play that you have to do live every night would in any way be easier than programming a flash applet that you can let work on its own.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6532.jpg

#24 2008-09-30 09:28:04

RobNJ564
PM

Branduil wrote:

RobNJ564 wrote:

I don't think play-by-play that you have to do live every night would in any way be easier than programming a flash applet that you can let work on its own.

Maybe not, but the start up time would be relatively negligible.   Also, this would really distinguish CR from something like, say, GLB, with the moving dots.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/4858.jpg

Get a different perspective on sports and pop culture. http://guysgirl.com/
Fight the Power.  Show Your Support.  http://occupywallst.org/

#25 2008-09-30 09:32:02

Bodsy
PM

Great Idea, I concur with the people who say home courts as well

Give you that advantage.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/391.jpg
#07 | Kevin Rudd | Season 7 RK Beer Barons |