Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-01-06 12:33:55

Captain Hammer
Feelin the love
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-04-16
Posts: 222
Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Speaking as a mod, I assure you I read these forums every day. Typically questions that I answer I do so on my player player persona rather than my mod persona because loading up the forum index is a painful experience on my work's internet connection. There are a LOT of teams and loading all of their forums up kills this glorified calculator I work on. Also, I cannot give you many of the answers you're looking for as I can't see inside Kazz's head any better than you. The call for more mod interaction truly might be more frustrating to some of you than the relative silence you get from me/us now because of this. I think what many of you are pining for would be better labeled developer interaction, than mod interaction.

From my perspective as a player/forum moderator, I still enjoy the game. I'm not just toeing the party line here, it entertains me and I'm addicted. Of course, new/more features is always a good thing. That's generally true of almost any product. I want updates as much as the rest of you. New toys! I also have had several conversations with Kazz though, and I understand that he's just one guy, who isn't available 24/7. (I understand that you aren't necessarily looking for 24/7). Handling this site can be overwhelming, and all I'm exposed to is the forums. When we take action, it's rarely well recieved, even if it is necessary. I can't imagine the extra things Kazz has to deal with.

That being said, I'll do what I can to post more as a mod, to increase our presence somewhat. I'll also mention the general sentiment here in our mod forum, on the off chance that Kazz has missed this thread/others like it. It may be possible he's working on things behind the scenese we're not aware of. It may also be possible that he's in a diabetic coma from eating too many sugar cookies over the holidays.
(please do not expect responses from me on this for several hours, as stated, I'm at work, and breaktime is over)


It's curtains for you Dr. Horrible! Lacy, gently wafting curtains.

Offline

 

#52 2009-01-06 12:42:37

dchan07
Masterpingu At Rest
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-11
Posts: 5097
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Told you guys forum moderators just moderate forums. Stop attacking the mods for they are doing their job. That said, I think Kazz does need some help in the developer area. One guy can't do it all, as is evident.

Thanks for the explanation Captain Hammer.


AT REZT

Offline

 

#53 2009-01-06 12:49:52

uclaevo
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-23
Posts: 1007
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

WFUnDina wrote:

uclaevo wrote:

abellwillring wrote:

Another part of the issue is how to deal with training when you have a member who isn't doing it.  GMs/Coaches of teams should be able to train players as well IMO.  Sometimes you have a core and you don't want to boot a guy or two, but perhaps they're not holding up their end of the bargain and training... this hurts the whole team.  Give the coach more control over his players IMO.

We're encountering this and its really caused a downward spiral for our team who was one of the top Pro A teams for the first few weeks of the season.  Frankly, I've lost a lot of interest in the game over it.

Yeah, we're stuck with a guy who trained the first two weeks, but is now MIA with no player credits.  If we kick, we lose lvl 3 team chems.  If we stay, we have a guy stuck at 700 TP who hasn't even used that last skill point.  After reading about ICA losing to the Pigs last season due partially to lvl 1 team chems, option 1 isn't an option.

I just want to add to that commement, that ICA, did that on purpose, hoping to get past the 1st 2 rounds. That wasn't an error, but a strategy.

Agreed, but my point is that the strategy sounds good, but the Pigs and team chems were underestimated.  Actually, now that I think about it, it was player chems that were changed and underestimated, but I suppose the same could be said of team chems (20% off the team total is a lot).


Jeremy Lin, 5'10 PG| Rotokingdom

Season 5, First Team All CR
Season 6, Second Team All CR

Offline

 

#54 2009-01-06 12:52:03

uclaevo
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-23
Posts: 1007
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

dchan07 wrote:

Told you guys forum moderators just moderate forums. Stop attacking the mods for they are doing their job. That said, I think Kazz does need some help in the developer area. One guy can't do it all, as is evident.

Thanks for the explanation Captain Hammer.

Isn't part of moderating the forums being active, trying to address the community's concerns and improve the community?  The mods don't need to code, but when there are all these questions and comments, I would think the mods should reply to do some public relations work.  Again, I'm not trying to attack, but those are the facts as I see it.


Jeremy Lin, 5'10 PG| Rotokingdom

Season 5, First Team All CR
Season 6, Second Team All CR

Offline

 

#55 2009-01-06 12:57:51

mystic
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-11
Posts: 5575
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

uclaevo wrote:

Isn't part of moderating the forums being active, trying to address the community's concerns and improve the community?  The mods don't need to code, but when there are all these questions and comments, I would think the mods should reply to do some public relations work.  Again, I'm not trying to attack, but those are the facts as I see it.

I completely agree with you. I don't see somebody attacking the mod, because they can't code or something like this. We criticize the lack of communication.


The Baltimore Bullets (S4 - S17): 395-210 RS record; 38-13 PS record; Runner-up in S 7, 13, 16, 17; Elite 8 in S 6, 9, 10, 12, 15; Pro A/B from S 6 to 17
Thanks bhill1767, Blowcaine, FastAsATurtle, fresh_tacos, Funk, Harbour, jbus, Lord Rott, marv88harrison, mchea, pat_mac05, redundant, rippev, team rohan, tesche, tmoney20, tsb5026, UCFinfan86, x-factor

Offline

 

#56 2009-01-06 12:58:59

Doctor Nick
Hi, everybody!
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-03-16
Posts: 865
Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Yes, what Captain Hammer said. The mods around here are simply forum mods. We can answer questions and deal with problems on threads, but as far as actual problems with the game, our hands are simply tied. If I go running to Kaz to alert him every time there is a problem or a suggestion, then I'll be telling him 20 times a day and it will lose effectiveness pretty fast. Frankly, if he wants to hire someone to help with the actual game, then that's his call and his responsibility. Asking mods to be around more isn't going to help most of the issues that I'm seeing around here.

I read as often as I can, but like I've said, having a full time job, being in an MS/PhD program, and having lots of things to do outside school & work does mean there will often be times when I'm unable to participate. Hopefully that is when some of the other mods pick up the slack. For what it's worth, I've only gotten 2 personal e-mails, and both of those issues have been fixed.

Offline

 

#57 2009-01-06 13:01:36

dchan07
Masterpingu At Rest
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-11
Posts: 5097
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

mystic wrote:

uclaevo wrote:

Isn't part of moderating the forums being active, trying to address the community's concerns and improve the community?  The mods don't need to code, but when there are all these questions and comments, I would think the mods should reply to do some public relations work.  Again, I'm not trying to attack, but those are the facts as I see it.

I completely agree with you. I don't see somebody attacking the mod, because they can't code or something like this. We criticize the lack of communication.

Like what Captain Hammer just said, they know just as much as us[for the most part]. They aren't all Kevin Kazimir.

I mean, if it provides any comfort, they could just be like "Ok, great idea, good post." after every single question and comment we have. I don't know what that would accomplish though.


AT REZT

Offline

 

#58 2009-01-06 13:02:51

Doctor Nick
Hi, everybody!
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-03-16
Posts: 865
Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

uclaevo wrote:

Isn't part of moderating the forums being active, trying to address the community's concerns and improve the community?  The mods don't need to code, but when there are all these questions and comments, I would think the mods should reply to do some public relations work.  Again, I'm not trying to attack, but those are the facts as I see it.

Yes, I agree. A lot of the questions though are related to the future of Court Rivals. Questions regarding what new features are coming to the game and what will be changed. Usually Kaz is the only one who can really answer these.

Offline

 

#59 2009-01-06 13:03:12

bheilman
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-04-23
Posts: 3768
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Doctor Nick wrote:

Yes, what Captain Hammer said. The mods around here are simply forum mods. We can answer questions and deal with problems on threads, but as far as actual problems with the game, our hands are simply tied. If I go running to Kaz to alert him every time there is a problem or a suggestion, then I'll be telling him 20 times a day and it will lose effectiveness pretty fast. Frankly, if he wants to hire someone to help with the actual game, then that's his call and his responsibility. Asking mods to be around more isn't going to help most of the issues that I'm seeing around here.

I read as often as I can, but like I've said, having a full time job, being in an MS/PhD program, and having lots of things to do outside school & work does mean there will often be times when I'm unable to participate. Hopefully that is when some of the other mods pick up the slack. For what it's worth, I've only gotten 2 personal e-mails, and both of those issues have been fixed.

Wait. You aren't really a doctor? Then why did you have me turn my head and cough? I feel lied to and violated.

Offline

 

#60 2009-01-06 13:10:31

TheKaz
Creator / Lead Developer
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-04-16
Posts: 4465
PM  Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

I think the problem and the general malaise stems from there being only one developer.  I know there's also some frustration stemming from me taking some time away from the game for the holidays and to recharge my batteries.  Let me just assure everyone that CR is not my full time job.  It's a a part-time job and a hobby.  I have a new, more demanding full time job now that does not afford me the same amount of time as my last one.  At the end of the day, I'm a human, I have to put food on the table, provide my wife and (one-day) family with health insurance, and try to find some outlet for stress release.

So it's tough.  A lot of people may look at what I just wrote and say "Hire a developer to work with you!"  Unfortunately, it's not so easy when you have a startup company; especially one where the only barrier to entry is my intellectual copyright (aka my code).  This makes ANYONE I work with on the code have to essentially go through an extremely vigorous screening process.  Finding someone to work with me on this site isn't like finding a cashier to jockey a register at Walmart.  It's akin to giving someone a blank check and having them promise not to cash it.  There's a lot of trust that needs to be in place.  Unfortunately, my brother-in-law, whom I'd love to work with on the site, is the only qualified developer I know and trust enough to work with me, but he has his own set of issues in his life that he's engaged in right now and there is a bit of a learning curve here at CR if you're not familiar with sports MMOs.

So what does all the rambling mean?  It means I'm here and I'll seek to endeavor to prove the game.  As usual, I'm not going to react to sensational posts or threats.  I'm going to keep a cool head.  I'm going to (attempt to!) continue to improve CR.

I do plan on implementing "Leagues" at some point to the game although I haven't exactly figured out how I plan to go about allowing player transfer between leagues (if I should even allow it in the first place).  I think before this can happen, we really have to automate award distribution.  If award distribution cannot be automated, then there's no way I can hand out awards across multiple leagues.

Anyway just some thoughts off the top of my head.  As always, I thank everyone for their support, and, trust me, I'm still going strong.

Offline

 

#61 2009-01-06 13:11:38

mystic
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-11
Posts: 5575
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

dchan07 wrote:

Like what Captain Hammer just said, they know just as much as us[for the most part]. They aren't all Kevin Kazimir.

I mean, if it provides any comfort, they could just be like "Ok, great idea, good post." after every single question and comment we have. I don't know what that would accomplish though.

Sorry, but you missed the point. With so many people playing this game, I don't expect that Kazz can communicate with all of the guys around. That is clearly too much. You need something like a functional intermediaries, people who talk to Kazz and the community. And this is the function of the mod. I have no idea, but I'm a moderator for a forum and we have a forum only for moderators, where we talk about issues. That is way more easier for the administration than talking to each member of the community.

Nobody wants to hear "Ok, great idea, good post.", your thinking is way to one dimensional in this point. Something like Harbour done in the suggestion forum, that is something a moderator has to do for a game like this.


Thanks Kazz for your response. I hope, nobody is punishing you for being the only developer, but you really need an improvement for the communication system. I can't imagine, that you can handle all this alone.

Last edited by mystic (2009-01-06 13:14:29)


The Baltimore Bullets (S4 - S17): 395-210 RS record; 38-13 PS record; Runner-up in S 7, 13, 16, 17; Elite 8 in S 6, 9, 10, 12, 15; Pro A/B from S 6 to 17
Thanks bhill1767, Blowcaine, FastAsATurtle, fresh_tacos, Funk, Harbour, jbus, Lord Rott, marv88harrison, mchea, pat_mac05, redundant, rippev, team rohan, tesche, tmoney20, tsb5026, UCFinfan86, x-factor

Offline

 

#62 2009-01-06 13:21:55

dchan07
Masterpingu At Rest
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-11
Posts: 5097
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Thanks Kazz for that.

Mystic, I wasn't sure what you wanted exactly from the mods but I get it now. Sorry for the 1-dimensionalness. lol


AT REZT

Offline

 

#63 2009-01-06 13:26:33

TheKaz
Creator / Lead Developer
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-04-16
Posts: 4465
PM  Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

I won't deny that communication could stand to be improved, but, again, that's not so straightforward, either.

This game doesn't pull in enough money to the point where I can outright *hire* people.  As a result, I've forced to draw from the community for forum mods and the like.  Yes, we have a mod chat forum.  Yes, we communicate on it.  However I can't "fire" people and I have to accept that people are busy.

Unfortunately, the busiest people are often the kind of people that I'd want issuing public communications on these forums.  There's a lot of people out there that are not as even headed as I'd like, may be a bit too direct/blunt for my tastes, or just don't share my sense of humor.  Picking forum mods is another activity that's not to be taken lightly.  I don't have a training video, and the forum mods here all have one thing in common: they all asked me "how should I respond to stuff?" before they made their first post.  This is the level of thoughtfulness and precaution that really makes a great mod.  ANYTHING a mod says on here becomes up for scrutiny INSTANTLY.  A lot of times we can futz around with people and make a joke here and there, but speaking from a pedestal (which we do every time we post whether we like it or not) 24/7 is tough and taxing.

Anyhow, sorry if I rambled.  Just my 2 cents on the topic.  I'm alive, I promise smile

Offline

 

#64 2009-01-06 13:28:58

Doctor Nick
Hi, everybody!
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-03-16
Posts: 865
Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

mystic wrote:

Nobody wants to hear "Ok, great idea, good post.", your thinking is way to one dimensional in this point. Something like Harbour done in the suggestion forum, that is something a moderator has to do for a game like this.

There really isn't a difference whether Harbour makes a post like that, or if a mod does. Some of the users spend a lot more time here and probably know more about what the people are looking for.

Is there anything specific that you can think of that you'd like the mods to do? Simply asking for "increasing communication" doesn't really help me out much. But if anyone has some ideas I'd be happy to see what I can do.

Offline

 

#65 2009-01-06 13:29:17

uclaevo
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-23
Posts: 1007
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Captain Hammer wrote:

Speaking as a mod, I assure you I read these forums every day. Typically questions that I answer I do so on my player player persona rather than my mod persona because loading up the forum index is a painful experience on my work's internet connection. There are a LOT of teams and loading all of their forums up kills this glorified calculator I work on. Also, I cannot give you many of the answers you're looking for as I can't see inside Kazz's head any better than you. The call for more mod interaction truly might be more frustrating to some of you than the relative silence you get from me/us now because of this. I think what many of you are pining for would be better labeled developer interaction, than mod interaction.

From my perspective as a player/forum moderator, I still enjoy the game. I'm not just toeing the party line here, it entertains me and I'm addicted. Of course, new/more features is always a good thing. That's generally true of almost any product. I want updates as much as the rest of you. New toys! I also have had several conversations with Kazz though, and I understand that he's just one guy, who isn't available 24/7. (I understand that you aren't necessarily looking for 24/7). Handling this site can be overwhelming, and all I'm exposed to is the forums. When we take action, it's rarely well recieved, even if it is necessary. I can't imagine the extra things Kazz has to deal with.

That being said, I'll do what I can to post more as a mod, to increase our presence somewhat. I'll also mention the general sentiment here in our mod forum, on the off chance that Kazz has missed this thread/others like it. It may be possible he's working on things behind the scenese we're not aware of. It may also be possible that he's in a diabetic coma from eating too many sugar cookies over the holidays.
(please do not expect responses from me on this for several hours, as stated, I'm at work, and breaktime is over)

Now, I feel some love.  *no homo guy hug*  Thanks hamma.


Jeremy Lin, 5'10 PG| Rotokingdom

Season 5, First Team All CR
Season 6, Second Team All CR

Offline

 

#66 2009-01-06 13:42:11

uclaevo
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-23
Posts: 1007
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

I've kinda been trying to post this, but the forum hasn't loaded well, so I'm a bit late, but...

Doctor Nick wrote:

Yes, what Captain Hammer said. The mods around here are simply forum mods. We can answer questions and deal with problems on threads, but as far as actual problems with the game, our hands are simply tied. If I go running to Kaz to alert him every time there is a problem or a suggestion, then I'll be telling him 20 times a day and it will lose effectiveness pretty fast. Frankly, if he wants to hire someone to help with the actual game, then that's his call and his responsibility. Asking mods to be around more isn't going to help most of the issues that I'm seeing around here.

I read as often as I can, but like I've said, having a full time job, being in an MS/PhD program, and having lots of things to do outside school & work does mean there will often be times when I'm unable to participate. Hopefully that is when some of the other mods pick up the slack. For what it's worth, I've only gotten 2 personal e-mails, and both of those issues have been fixed.

Coming from one who's stepped up from member to mod to team lead from another active forum, communication between mods and admins is pretty critical.  I know Kaz is really busy, but if he's working on some enhancement, shouldn't the staff know about it?  If the mods know about it, they can communicate to the rest of us.  Just like the 'Work in Progress' suggestions thread or the 'Things Planned' announcements thread, I think it's very helpful to mods and players to have an idea of the future of CR.

Then, Kaz posted this:

TheKaz wrote:

I won't deny that communication could stand to be improved, but, again, that's not so straightforward, either.

This game doesn't pull in enough money to the point where I can outright *hire* people.  As a result, I've forced to draw from the community for forum mods and the like.  Yes, we have a mod chat forum.  Yes, we communicate on it.  However I can't "fire" people and I have to accept that people are busy.

Unfortunately, the busiest people are often the kind of people that I'd want issuing public communications on these forums.  There's a lot of people out there that are not as even headed as I'd like, may be a bit too direct/blunt for my tastes, or just don't share my sense of humor.  Picking forum mods is another activity that's not to be taken lightly.  I don't have a training video, and the forum mods here all have one thing in common: they all asked me "how should I respond to stuff?" before they made their first post.  This is the level of thoughtfulness and precaution that really makes a great mod.  ANYTHING a mod says on here becomes up for scrutiny INSTANTLY.  A lot of times we can futz around with people and make a joke here and there, but speaking from a pedestal (which we do every time we post whether we like it or not) 24/7 is tough and taxing.

Anyhow, sorry if I rambled.  Just my 2 cents on the topic.  I'm alive, I promise smile

I can see where caution is needed, but caution shouldn't override communication.  Mods can make the statement that there's activity in the background on enhancements or discussions or what have you, and that isn't very controversial.  If the forum takes it another step and gets too sensational, you're fully justified in locking it.  However, that can also be a good opportunity to get input and ideas from the community before rolling out with something and having a full season scrapped as a beta test.

As you can see from the Doocar, this thread, and other threads, not only is the lack of communication a concern for the game, but the members actually question and are concerned about the wellbeing of the other person.  We know that these members used to be active, we know that this game is your baby Kaz, but if we don't see you around, the two reactions are frustration for isolation and fear for something bad happening.


Jeremy Lin, 5'10 PG| Rotokingdom

Season 5, First Team All CR
Season 6, Second Team All CR

Offline

 

#67 2009-01-06 13:50:50

Doctor Nick
Hi, everybody!
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-03-16
Posts: 865
Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

uclaevo wrote:

Coming from one who's stepped up from member to mod to team lead from another active forum, communication between mods and admins is pretty critical.  I know Kaz is really busy, but if he's working on some enhancement, shouldn't the staff know about it?  If the mods know about it, they can communicate to the rest of us.  Just like the 'Work in Progress' suggestions thread or the 'Things Planned' announcements thread, I think it's very helpful to mods and players to have an idea of the future of CR.

I know exactly what you're asking for here, and I really regret to tell you that I'm not sure what Kaz has planned for the future. We're obviously aware that there is a growing amount of uneasiness due to lack of recent communication (whether or not someone views it as a valid reason, the holiday season DID have an impact on this), and I believe that the staff will step up and things will get better.

Offline

 

#68 2009-01-06 13:52:28

dchan07
Masterpingu At Rest
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-11
Posts: 5097
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Optimism FTW.


AT REZT

Offline

 

#69 2009-01-06 13:53:24

mystic
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-11
Posts: 5575
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Thanks Kazz again, I know, that this isn't easy, but I really think there is enough space for improvement, even without hiring and paying people.

Doctor Nick wrote:

There really isn't a difference whether Harbour makes a post like that, or if a mod does.

For me it makes a huge difference, whether it is made by the staff or by an user. When someone from staff is doing something like this, the community also recognize that their care about the game. Not every suggestion is good or can be implemented, a brief update (maybe one time a week or so) that some of the suggestions are noticed, some are rejected (because they are to hard to implement or heading in the wrong direction or something else) would be really good.

Doctor Nick wrote:

Some of the users spend a lot more time here and probably know more about what the people are looking for.

And that is the point where the request for more mods come into play. Of course there are always user, who spend more time here and no mod is able to do all the stuff alone. Split this to 3 or 4 people, who can do this. Give the mods different jobs, someone for the general board, someone for the player/team looking forum (both of these forums become more and more confusing, because of the amount of players) and so on.

Doctor Nick wrote:

Is there anything specific that you can think of that you'd like the mods to do? Simply asking for "increasing communication" doesn't really help me out much. But if anyone has some ideas I'd be happy to see what I can do.

I think it heads in the right direction. I posted some ideas above.


The Baltimore Bullets (S4 - S17): 395-210 RS record; 38-13 PS record; Runner-up in S 7, 13, 16, 17; Elite 8 in S 6, 9, 10, 12, 15; Pro A/B from S 6 to 17
Thanks bhill1767, Blowcaine, FastAsATurtle, fresh_tacos, Funk, Harbour, jbus, Lord Rott, marv88harrison, mchea, pat_mac05, redundant, rippev, team rohan, tesche, tmoney20, tsb5026, UCFinfan86, x-factor

Offline

 

#70 2009-01-06 14:00:54

Doctor Nick
Hi, everybody!
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-03-16
Posts: 865
Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

mystic wrote:

Doctor Nick wrote:

There really isn't a difference whether Harbour makes a post like that, or if a mod does.

For me it makes a huge difference, whether it is made by the staff or by an user. When someone from staff is doing something like this, the community also recognize that their care about the game. Not every suggestion is good or can be implemented, a brief update (maybe one time a week or so) that some of the suggestions are noticed, some are rejected (because they are to hard to implement or heading in the wrong direction or something else) would be really good.

The real problem with this will always be that it's completely up to Kaz. I've even thought some suggestions were good that he didn't want to go along with. If I made a thread of good suggestions, then I think it gets looked at as absolutes since it was posted by a mod, when that wouldn't be the case at all. I think it'd actually create more confusion in the end, so I leave all the decisions regarding changes to the game up to Kaz. What I have done is helped formulate ideas. If the idea isn't clear I'll try and help them make it clearer. If I see a reason why it might not work, I'll point it out and they can either come up with a solution or realize the idea won't work at all. In the end, that's all I can really do with these scenarios since it's not my decision.

Offline

 

#71 2009-01-06 14:15:14

mystic
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-11
Posts: 5575
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Ok, this can be confusing for some people, but it should be clear, that you are only a functional intermediary. You're collecting the good ideas and give a note to Kazz about this (like the mail you wrote, when I understand this right, about Harbour's thread). It's not necessary, that Kazz response to us about all the ideas, when he doesn't like them. He gives you is impression about that and you communicate this to us. Something like: Ok, guys, Kazz like this or that, and this or that will not be recognized. Sticky this information, so everyone can see, what kind of suggestions are brought up already. That avoids also that something will be suggested from time to time again and again.

Everyone should know, that you have no responsibilty for developing something or give certain promises, that something will be implemented or not. That is not your job as a moderator. Kazz always decides, what is good or doable for the game, and what is not.


The Baltimore Bullets (S4 - S17): 395-210 RS record; 38-13 PS record; Runner-up in S 7, 13, 16, 17; Elite 8 in S 6, 9, 10, 12, 15; Pro A/B from S 6 to 17
Thanks bhill1767, Blowcaine, FastAsATurtle, fresh_tacos, Funk, Harbour, jbus, Lord Rott, marv88harrison, mchea, pat_mac05, redundant, rippev, team rohan, tesche, tmoney20, tsb5026, UCFinfan86, x-factor

Offline

 

#72 2009-01-06 14:15:39

uclaevo
Member
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-06-23
Posts: 1007
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

mystic wrote:

Doctor Nick wrote:

Some of the users spend a lot more time here and probably know more about what the people are looking for.

And that is the point where the request for more mods come into play. Of course there are always user, who spend more time here and no mod is able to do all the stuff alone. Split this to 3 or 4 people, who can do this. Give the mods different jobs, someone for the general board, someone for the player/team looking forum (both of these forums become more and more confusing, because of the amount of players) and so on.

This one's definitely worth considering.  While mods feel a certain obligation for the site as a whole, specific assignments help prevent burn out.  One way is to split up topically, by subject matter expertise.  Another is by request or 'first come, first serve', allowing mods to select or apply for their section.


Jeremy Lin, 5'10 PG| Rotokingdom

Season 5, First Team All CR
Season 6, Second Team All CR

Offline

 

#73 2009-01-06 14:22:43

Doctor Nick
Hi, everybody!
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-03-16
Posts: 865
Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

uclaevo wrote:

mystic wrote:

Doctor Nick wrote:

Some of the users spend a lot more time here and probably know more about what the people are looking for.

And that is the point where the request for more mods come into play. Of course there are always user, who spend more time here and no mod is able to do all the stuff alone. Split this to 3 or 4 people, who can do this. Give the mods different jobs, someone for the general board, someone for the player/team looking forum (both of these forums become more and more confusing, because of the amount of players) and so on.

This one's definitely worth considering.  While mods feel a certain obligation for the site as a whole, specific assignments help prevent burn out.  One way is to split up topically, by subject matter expertise.  Another is by request or 'first come, first serve', allowing mods to select or apply for their section.

It definitely makes sense. I think you run into a problem when, say, you assign Doctor Nick to the Recruitment forums and then Captain Hammer to the Conference forums, but then I have a major project for work or go on a vacation and can't be around. Obviously, the simple solution is "more mods!" but Kaz has stated why this isn't easy to do. I don't think it's too much effort to moderate the forums altogether.

What is confusing, just the amount of players? Can you think of a better way to organize it? What if the recruitment forums were specified a little bit more? For example, in the "Players looking for a team" forum you could break it down into guards and forwards or by the amount of training credits. And in the "Teams looking for players" forum you could break it down into conferences.

(By the way, this is a great example of an idea that I can work with and help out with, but then I can't go ahead and make the changes)

Offline

 

#74 2009-01-06 14:23:17

Doctor Nick
Hi, everybody!
Accomplishments: 0
Registered: 2008-03-16
Posts: 865
Website

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

Doctor Nick wrote:

uclaevo wrote:

mystic wrote:


And that is the point where the request for more mods come into play. Of course there are always user, who spend more time here and no mod is able to do all the stuff alone. Split this to 3 or 4 people, who can do this. Give the mods different jobs, someone for the general board, someone for the player/team looking forum (both of these forums become more and more confusing, because of the amount of players) and so on.

This one's definitely worth considering.  While mods feel a certain obligation for the site as a whole, specific assignments help prevent burn out.  One way is to split up topically, by subject matter expertise.  Another is by request or 'first come, first serve', allowing mods to select or apply for their section.

It definitely makes sense. I think you run into a problem when, say, you assign Doctor Nick to the Recruitment forums and then Captain Hammer to the Conference forums, but then I have a major project for work or go on a vacation and can't be around and the forums are left mod-less. Obviously, the simple solution is "more mods!" but Kaz has stated why this isn't easy to do. I don't think it's too much effort to moderate the forums altogether.

What is confusing, just the amount of players? Can you think of a better way to organize it? What if the recruitment forums were specified a little bit more? For example, in the "Players looking for a team" forum you could break it down into guards and forwards or by the amount of training credits. And in the "Teams looking for players" forum you could break it down into conferences.

(By the way, this is a great example of an idea that I can work with and help out with, but then I can't go ahead and make the changes)

Offline

 

#75 2009-01-06 14:29:15

Slightly Hyphy
Member
Accomplishments: 0
From: Bay Area
Registered: 2008-05-27
Posts: 18910
PM

Re: Something Needs to be Done Kazz...

I hope Kazz plans on keeping court rivals alive and healthy for a long time. If he decides to end this hobby at some point, though, I hope it comes after June 25th 2009.


"When I play ball I really like to bang with the big men down low. I'm pretty aggressive but sometimes bobbling balls is a challenge-you've just got to really reach in there and really get a firm hold. When it comes down to it, I really just have to pound it up in there if I want to score" -MyNetsForLife

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson