Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Rookie Forum
  •  » For all New Captains: How to Build a Successful Team on Court Rivals

#1 2009-04-17 23:08:37

FastAsATurtle
Accomplishments: 0
PM

For all New Captains: How to Build a Successful Team on Court Rivals

Welcome, all you new captains out there! Building a team on CR is one of those things that takes a lot of work, a lot of practice, and a bit of luck.

This guide, hopefully, will give you some basic information to help you along your way to building a successful Playoff (maybe even a Championship!) team. It will be a long process, but it's definitely rewarding the entire way.

So, without further ado...

Building a team

When you're building your team (aka Recruiting), there are several key things to keep in mind.

You Should Build a 10 Man Team
Avoiding filler players is a MUST if you want to be competitive. Until you have a full roster, you can't do many of the cool things that will be listed below. So, look around in the various recruiting forums, be active, and get a group of 10 guys together.

You Should Build a Dedicated Team
This one's a little tougher. Basically, you're looking for teammates that will hang with you on your journey to the top. As the captain, your job is to help your team win games, and that's hard enough to do by itself! You don't need people complaining that they "aren't getting their stats" at the same time. Win games, and the stats will come.

But hey, I'll be honest: I love "team-hoppers" and "me-first" guys. There are certainly a lot of them out there, and they make the game entertaining...just not on my team, and hopefully not on yours either. Someone else can deal with them, while your team rises to the top tongue

Also, training is KEY in this game. If you can find players that have premium (which helps your training an ENORMOUS amount), get them! Players that don't train really weigh teams down. If you have a teammate that never seems to be around, and doesn't seem to care about keeping up with the team plan, maybe you need to look for a different long-term solution.

You Should Build a Balanced Team
This is where we start getting into REAL strategy. You have a lot of flexibility when building your Court Rivals team, but there are a few rules to follow...

Always get 2 rebounders- One on each line. Because of the way the game works, if you don't have this, you'll have a REALLY hard time winning. You need someone to clean the glass for you.

*Season 14 edit* One or two teams have proven that it's possible to win without two rebounders. However, this requires a huge deal of slider/chem/skill point knowledge, and the easiest (and still most-used) route to take is to have two rebounders. It is the recommended step here.

Get at least 2 "offensive" players- These are guys with strengths in Shooting/3pt/FT/Dunking. Again, if you don't have at least one of these guys on each line, you'll have some problems.

Get at least 2 "defensive" players- These are guys with strengths in Defense/Blocking, and maybe Leadership. You can try to slide by without these guys, but your team won't be too balanced.

So now, you have four spots left. Most Pro teams choose two more scorers, and then two "intangibles guys," guys with strengths in Speed/BH/Pass/Lead. What you pick though, is up to you!

*Season 14 edit* As of the last few seasons, the general sneaking suspicion around the board is that leadership has become a stronger intangible than the other three. Therefore, the recommendation here is now to obtain 2 Lead Guards/Forwards

However, make sure to have at least four guards, and at least four forwards. Your team will face a penalty if you don't.

If you can find 10 players who are dedicated, team-first guys, and a good mix of strengths, you've built a balanced team! Nice job...now you just have to organize that team for success, set up the lines, and plan for chemistries and such.

But hey, the first part is over, and the next part...well, we'll deal with that in another topic wink

Good luck, captain!
-Turtle

Last edited by FastAsATurtle (2010-01-06 23:47:23)

Back from the sea...but heading back out for a final rest.

wink

#2 2009-04-17 23:17:16

tarheelsunc
Banned
PM

Re: For all New Captains: How to Build a Successful Team on Court Rivals

I've got a feeling I know who one of the "team-hoppers" and "me-first" guys is...

An important thing is to make sure you can find 10 players who can all get chems. You basically can't have a Passing PG and a Leadership PG. Chemistries are a puzzle sometimes. Without proper planning, it can take a whole season to get everything situated.

___     _    __      |    |  __  __          ___     |     |        __
   |     /_\  |__\    |__| |__ |__ |      /__       |     | |\ | /
   |    /    \ |   \    |    | |__ |__ |__  ___/      \__/  | \| \__
http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/798.jpg

#3 2009-04-17 23:39:10

cking
PM

FastAsATurtle wrote:

Welcome, all you new captains out there! Building a team on CR is one of those things that takes a lot of work, a lot of practice, and a bit of luck.

This guide, hopefully, will give you some basic information to help you along your way to building a successful Playoff (maybe even a Championship!) team. It will be a long process, but it's definitely rewarding the entire way.

So, without further ado...

Building a team

When you're building your team (aka Recruiting), there are several key things to keep in mind.

You Should Build a 10 Man Team
Avoiding filler players is a MUST if you want to be competitive. Until you have a full roster, you can't do many of the cool things that will be listed below. So, look around in the various recruiting forums, be active, and get a group of 10 guys together.

You Should Build a Dedicated Team
This one's a little tougher. Basically, you're looking for teammates that will hang with you on your journey to the top. As the captain, your job is to help your team win games, and that's hard enough to do by itself! You don't need people complaining that they "aren't getting their stats" at the same time. Win games, and the stats will come.

But hey, I'll be honest: I love "team-hoppers" and "me-first" guys. There are certainly a lot of them out there, and they make the game entertaining...just not on my team, and hopefully not on yours either. Someone else can deal with them, while your team rises to the top tongue

Also, training is KEY in this game. If you can find players that have premium (which helps your training an ENORMOUS amount), get them! Players that don't train really weigh teams down. If you have a teammate that never seems to be around, and doesn't seem to care about keeping up with the team plan, maybe you need to look for a different long-term solution.

You Should Build a Balanced Team
This is where we start getting into REAL strategy. You have a lot of flexibility when building your Court Rivals team, but there are a few rules to follow...

Always get 2 rebounders- One on each line. Because of the way the game works, if you don't have this, you'll have a REALLY hard time winning. You need someone to clean the glass for you.

Get at least 2 "offensive" players- These are guys with strengths in Shooting/3pt/FT/Dunking. Again, if you don't have at least one of these guys on each line, you'll have some problems.

Get at least 2 "defensive" players- These are guys with strengths in Defense/Blocking, and maybe Leadership. You can try to slide by without these guys, but your team won't be too balanced.

So now, you have four spots left. Most Pro teams choose two more scorers, and then two "intangibles guys," guys with strengths in Speed/BH/Pass/Lead. What you pick though, is up to you!

However, make sure to have at least four guards, and at least four forwards. Your team will face a penalty if you don't.

If you can find 10 players who are dedicated, team-first guys, and a good mix of strengths, you've built a balanced team! Nice job...now you just have to organize that team for success, set up the lines, and plan for chemistries and such.

But hey, the first part is over, and the next part...well, we'll deal with that in another topic wink

Good luck, captain!
-Turtle

great post turtle!!

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/27591.jpg

Jordan Champions S25,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,40,41,42 TGP. Classic Champions S33,S34,S36 A Piece of Art S37,S41 Public Enemies S51,S53,S54,S55,S56,S59,S60,S61 PATS S64,S65,S70,S73,74,75,76,77,80,81,82,83,85,86,87,88,89 THU, West Champions S54,S58,S59,83 CR VETS

#4 2009-04-17 23:51:21

Hubbalicious
PM

i think this is very helpful, it is insightful without giving too much away.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/18443.jpg
Pass A Fist Comeback - SF Team Leader - PG Courtrivals Best  (jordan)         
Mr. Hyde Dr. Jekyll - G The Beast Inside  (west)
Championship: Guardians (12) The Joke is on You (25)

#5 2009-04-21 15:11:41

Kisin
PM

what about playoffs? who and how do you qualify for the playoffs?

#6 2009-04-21 15:55:05

Sirvini
PM

Kisin wrote:

what about playoffs? who and how do you qualify for the playoffs?

the top 64 teams in each league make the playoffs.  It is based on a combination of strength of sched., team training pts, and wins and losses.   

Check this link to find direction to locate where you rank right now. http://www.courtrivals.com/knowledgebase.php?a=7

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/17566.jpg
Andy Sirianni--Point Guard&Captain--Stout Blue Devils (Bird)
Snicker Doodle--Center--C.T.T.F. (Inaugural Jordan League Champions)

#7 2009-04-26 01:02:53

aklo
PM

Nice post!

-_-

#8 2010-01-05 22:46:01

carolinapride
PM

This needs to have its own page, with maybe a little more guidance of such things as chems, basic strategies, etc.

#9 2010-01-06 04:46:07

krishnasitlani
PM

Good Job!!

#10 2010-01-06 23:43:16

FastAsATurtle
PM

carolinapride wrote:

This needs to have its own page, with maybe a little more guidance of such things as chems, basic strategies, etc.

WOW, I haven't looked at this thing in forever.

A few changes/addenda:

For the two intangibles players, I recommend going with two lead players.
Rebounders are not REQUIRED, but it will be difficult to make a team without them (although it can be done!). Therefore, I still recommend two.

And as for some more things like chems and basic strategies, I figured those were best saved for another topic. This is just a really basic primer about MAKING a team big_smile

Back from the sea...but heading back out for a final rest.

wink

#11 2010-01-25 02:30:45

KobeArtest
PM

nice post

• Index
  •  » Rookie Forum
  •  » For all New Captains: How to Build a Successful Team on Court Rivals

Board footer